cuatro

chapter four
isabel martinéz

"You're so caught up in your own world, you can't even see how you're hurting others. All I ask for is some space." I shout.

Charles' usually warm eyes blaze with fury as he retorts, "Oh, please. You're not asking for space, you're demanding me to leave you alone, when we both know I am only trying to help."

"I don't need this toxic dynamic right now, so please, just leave me alone." I fold my arms together.

"Are you really blaming all of this on me? You're always so quick to point fingers, but have you ever considered your own faults?"

The words sting. "You know what, Charles? Maybe we've outgrown this friendship."

His jaw clenches, and he shoots back, "Fine by me. I've been holding back how I really feel about your constant absence the past few weeks."

"How dare you? My brother died."

"Which is horrible, but you keep using it as an excuse to be shitty towards me. I have been trying my hardest to be there for you, but you keep pretending that I don't exist. How do you think that makes me feel?"

"You've changed, Charles," I whisper, my voice quivering with a mix of sadness and anger, "the person I used to know wouldn't lash out like this."

He scoffs bitterly. "People change, in case you haven't noticed. Maybe it's time you accepted that."

A tense silence follows, the echoes of our argument fading as we both struggle to catch our breath. The winds of stubbornness begin to shift, and I glance at Charles, his fists still clenched by his sides.

"I don't need you anymore."

"As you wish," he says.