Part 31

Just like how we did five years prior, Vivienne and I made our way down to Margate and Ventnor beach. We were going to be staying overnight at her parents condo down at the beach for July 4th.

For the past months, Vivienne got a job at a high end clothing store, and enjoyed working there. She still wanted to go into something with fashion- and she was going to be starting a MBA program in the fall that was mostly online, with occasional classes in Philadelphia.

Seeing her much happier made me happy. I hated seeing her so stressed out and down while she was in law school. I knew we made each other happy, but her own individual happiness was very important to me.

Over the past months I saw Vivienne's parents quite often- and they were always very sweet to me- including her mother. Vivienne's relationship with her was still far from perfect- but I could tell that her mother was trying to understand her a bit better.

Vivienne did start therapy again. She went every other week, just to be able to talk about her emotions and learn was to handle stress and watch out for triggers for her depression. It was very important that she did so.

"I'm glad that Olivia and Roberto are going to meet up with us for dinner." Vivienne said as she drove.

Olivia and Roberto's relationship moved fast- as they were already going to be living together- but Olivia was very happy, so that's what mattered to me.

We had plans to meet with them for dinner in Margate before we watched the fireworks. Roberto's family had a beach house in Brigantine, which wasn't too far away.

When Viv and I got to the condo, we put our overnight bags in her bedroom, and started to get ready for dinner.

There was a full length mirror in the bedroom, and Vivienne and I sat in front of it, putting on our makeup. Vivienne also curled my hair, giving me light kisses on the cheek in between curls.

Vivienne and I often did this- we would get ready together and then go out to dinner or a bar sometimes. She was truly my best friend along with my girlfriend- and we were going to be moving in together after her lease was up in September.

It was an easy decision. We decided to rent an apartment for a year, and we were already looking at places. I was so excited to live with Vivienne. We already spent so much time together, and this would take it to the next level. We also both really wanted to rescue a cat as well, and give it a good home.

We met Olivia and Roberto at a Japanese restaurant.

"I'm glad we're doing this." Vivienne said, looking at the menu.

"Me too." Olivia smiled at her, "You two are going to watch the fireworks after this?"

"We are." I said, "You two are more than welcome to join us."

"We're going to watch them in Brigantine." Roberto said, "My mom likes for me and my brothers to watch them every year with her, she'd throw a fit if we didn't."

Roberto rolled his eyes, but smiled.

"Hey, mother knows best." Vivienne said.

We got served our sushi, and Vivienne asked Olivia and Roberto about the apartment they would be moving into at the end of the month.

"Are you excited?" she asked, "I know Charlotte and I are very excited to move in together in the fall."

"We're definitely very excited." Olivia said, "I'm a bit nervous, I won't lie. But it's exciting."

Roberto smiled at Olivia and said, "We'll make it through. I think it'll be great for us."

And I know it'll be great for Viv and I.

After dinner we said goodbye to Roberto and Olivia, and then we walked down to the beach, which was only a few blocks away from the restaurant.

The beach was already crowded with people, ready to watch the fireworks once it got fully dark.

Vivienne and I were able to find a bench on the boardwalk that was unoccupied, and she suggested we sit down and watch the fireworks there.

"It'll be a good view, being behind everyone." she said.

"I agree." I nodded, "Plus, it's like our own little private space."

"Exactly." Vivienne smiled at me. She then said, "Damn. I forgot a water bottle. I'm a bit thirsty from dinner. You have one in your bag, right?"

"I do." I nodded, "I just need to grab it, give me one second."

I leaned down from the bench, facing away from Vivienne, and opened my bag, reaching in for the pink water bottle I had in there.

And when I turned around- she was on one knee, holding a velvet box.

I felt my heart pound, practically out of my chest, as she said, "Charlotte Marie Voss- I'm not going to make a huge thing out of this, I promise. But I love you way too much to not ask you to marry me. You wanted to tell me years ago here that you loved me, so I figured the best way to make it up to you was to propose to you here five years later. Will you marry me?"

I felt tears spring to my eyes as I nodded and said, "Of course. I love you, Viv. More than anything."

Vivienne opened the box to reveal a gorgeous diamond ring.

"Your mom helped me pick it out." she said, "The time when I told you that I was touring Temple University- I was at the jewelers with her."

She stood up and slid the ring on my finger.

I hardly even noticed the people in the background, clapping for us.

"I love it." I said, looking down at the ring, "It's gorgeous."

"Gorgeous ring for a gorgeous girl." Vivienne said, and she gave me a smile.

The joy I felt in that moment was insurmountable. All of the confusion and hardship that I went through to accept my own sexuality now led to this moment with Vivienne.

The fireworks started moments after, and Vivienne held on to my hand as we watched the bright lights exploding in the night sky.

She turned to me and smiled- showing her dimples- and I smiled back.

"I love you, Viv." I said to her.

"I love you too, Char." she said back to me.

And I knew- this was a forever thing.

End

A/N: Thank you so much for reading "The Sweetest Thing". This story was a lot of fun to write- I grew pretty attached to Vivienne, and loved writing her character, as well as Charlotte. I definitely plan on writing an epilogue for this. I hope you enjoyed! <3333