Fear and Faith

Usually Vegeta was a pain in her ass to heal. He'd always try to get up and leave in the middle of her treatments, insisting he could walk the rest off. Only to prove that he could, in fact, not.

Vegeta always argued with her, calling her "annoying Earth woman" rather than her name. She couldn't tell if he was even resting, she'd never seen him sleep. Well she did, on a couple rare occasions that lasted a few seconds, just enough time for Vegeta to either hear or sense her and rouse himself from sleep.

But today.. Was odd.

She noticed that he wasn't moving, and hadn't moved since he'd been laid in that position. She came closer, shutting the door behind her with no effort to quiet it, confident that it would wake him. But he stayed still, and silent.

She stood at the side of the bed, examining. His hands were lying over his belly, scars and bandages running up and down his entire body. She briefly wondered how he got them, but kept that to herself for now as more important questions rose.

Like her question of: Is he breathing?

She couldn't tell if the man below her was breathing or not, not being able to hear it, or see his chest rise nor fall. She set her supplies down, and gently pressed to fingers under his jaw, just off to the side. She was slightly shocked when she felt a rapid heartbeat, but was more shocked when she noticed his eyes had opened.

She took her hand back and smiled nervously, "I wasn't trying anything, so don't start yelling at me, Mister."

Her smile faded, however, when he didn't respond. He always responded to her when she talked to him like that. Whether it was a snarky remark or a silent eye roll she never failed to get a response out of him, until now.

She frowned, "Are.. You good?"

She noticed that he wasn't looking at her, and instead something far, far away. Probably something not even in the room. His empty, hundred yard stare  concerning her more than anything.

He'd always been highly alert of his surroundings ever since she'd taken him into her home. But now? If she really wanted to, she could have killed him. Anyone else, maybe, would've taken the chance to take him out. But her warm heart felt no malice, only worry.

She placed a hand to his forehead, snatching her hand away with a shocked scowl, "What the hell?"

He was burning, reaching temperatures she'd thought were very low chance due to the rooms low temperature, but her thermometer would show facts. She pulled the thermometer from her small pile of supplies, and pulled his chin down. She realized that she'd have to do it manually, if the vacant expression was anything to go by. She slid some gloves on, and mentally prepared herself in case Vegeta were to suddenly snap into awareness.

She lifted his tongue with the index and thumb of her left hand, and slid the thermometer under it with her right. She waited, watching as Vegeta's expression never changed and the numbers only grew larger in value.

When the device beeped, she stared in shock at the temperature of 127°F. She ran fingers through her hair, a human would die at those temperatures, yet he seemed to be in the middle of a coma. She set the thermometer down, and set her hands on his, attempting to rid him of the blankets aiding in heat. She stopped when he muttered something incoherent, and his hand atop hers.

Her eyes widened as she stared in shock, not knowing if he was going to blow up her hand, or rip it off, or force her to do something she didn't want to. Her mind was racing as she stared into his hollow eyes.

"Tu'me'.." He whispered, sliding his hand back to its original place on his upper stomach.

She stared in shock as there was no blood, no pain. She took her hands back, watching as they trembled. She released a breath she didn't know she was holding. Her hands came back to the blanket, and she immediately noticed when he flinched. He. Flinched.