Chapter One: Welcome To S.H.A.P, Zak

Not everything in Tricpolis was as great and amazing as some people thought. The wealthy areas, sure, but what about where all of the poorer people lived?

Zakaria Richardson and his family were among the 'poorer people'. Shunned from society because of their super-human abilities, they didn't have very much of anything. Zak could barely even make it to the store and back without people stopping, staring, and whispering. He hated it.

Zakaria's brother, Amil, was once beat to the brink of death. It was only because of a superhero that the young boy had lived. After that, Zakaria became obsessed with superheroes. It was all he would ever talk about, and he would often fantasize about himself being a superhero. Whenever the old, rusted Television that Zak's dad had scavenged from the rich people's trash started playing news coverage on the superheroes, Zak could be found watching the screen with pure interest he didn't show in anything else.

When word got out that the superheroes were going to make an in-person appearance, Zak couldn't believe his ears. Superheroes? In person?

Zak begged his parents to go to the event like he had never begged before. He even promised to sell his precious bike to buy tickets to the event himself. Despite not wanting to go at all, Amil had worked a couple of extra shifts at his job to be able to get enough money for Zak to go.

Eventually, thanks to Zak's Dad's cousin, they had gotten enough money for Zak, Amil, and his Dad to go to the event. Dad now owed money to their cousin, but Zak had made sure to promise to help get the money payed back.

The trip to get to the city square would be a long one if Zak and his family were normal. They didn't have a car, and would have had to walk. Due to the fact Amil could grow wings from his back, however, it took them less time then it would if they had a car.

When the trio finally got to the city square, no one else was there.

"Odd," Amil commented. "Where is everyone? Surely we're not the first to get here."

"You are not the first to get here," A women with a microphone said. "We've been waiting here for a while. Now, would you like to explain how that one-" The lady pointed at Amil "had wings?"

"No one had any wings," Zak's Dad said, his eyes glowing ever-so-slightly. Zak knew he was using his power: The power to make someone believe exactly what you were saying.

"No one had any wings," The news reporter women stated in a monotone voice, saying the exact thing Zak's father had just said.

"Good," Zak's Dad said, nodding.

"Look, other people are coming," Zak pointed out.

"Zak, go look at whatever you want. I need to have a talk with your brother," Zak's dad said, handing Zak the money to get his ticket of admission.

Zak went with no complaints towards the gates. He watched in awe as big, burly body guards blocked people from entering until they payed. Zak knew this was a safety precaution, but he didn't understand why the bodyguards were giving some of the people nasty looks. Surely no one would try to get in without paying admission... right?

While deep in his thoughts, Zak failed to notice the men walking behind him.

"Hey! Move it, Richardson!" The lead man snarled.

Zak took steps back quickly, recognizing the man. This was Murali McAlister, the leader of a band of criminals in Tricpolis' underground Villain movements. With him were surely Irek Albronda and Gerald Cummins, his bodyguard and right-hand man.

Zak felt a hand on his shoulder and panicked, glancing with fear-filled eyes at whoever was touching him. To Zakaria's surprise, it wasn't Irek or Gerald. It was a man in his early thirties, who was gazing at him kindly.