10. The One

After the American tour, Noel toured the UK and Europe then he was back home in London. He thought about Layla often. She had made him realize he wanted a more serious relationship again. Casual sex was fun, but he was getting tired of it. He wanted something more stable and permanent. He wanted someone he could share his life with. He had now been divorced almost two years and he was in a much better place.

He thought about using dating apps, but the thought alone disgusted him. He went out on a few dates set up by friends, but didn't end up liking any of the women. He was beginning to think maybe he was destined to be alone the rest of his life, until he met her.

He was at the supermarket and nearly ran into her as he turned the corner out of the bread aisle.

"Sorry." He said just as she said the same thing. Their eyes met and they smiled.

"Are you always this dangerous at the supermarket?" She asked with a smile.

"Dangerous?" He smiled.

"You nearly took my head off." She teased.

He shook his head with a grin.

"Fuckin 'ell. Are ya gonna call the cops?" He asked.

"Maybe." She grinned.

"You can't prove anything, love." He said.

"Yes I can. See that camera?" She pointed to a security camera above them.

They grinned at each other.

"Listen, don't call the cops. Let me take you out tonight and make it up to you." He said.

Her smile faded.

"Ok." She finally said.

"Great. Give me your number." He said as he pulled his phone from his pocket. He entered her number in his phone then looked at her.
"And what's your name?" He asked.

"Diane." She said.

He saved her name in his phone then put it back in his pocket.

"Ok Diane, see ya around six? I'm Noel by the way." He said.

"Six is fine." She smiled.

He smiled and gave her a nod then walked away and continued his shopping.

They met at a nice restaurant that evening and had a nice dinner then sat at the table talking as they finished a bottle of wine.

"So Noel, what do you do?" She asked.

"What do I do?" He looked at her confused.

"Yeah, what do you do for work?" She asked.

"Do ya not recognize me?" He asked.

"No. Should I?" She said.

"I dunno." He shrugged.

"So are you famous or something?" She asked.

He chuckled.

"You could say that." He said.

"What are you famous for?" She asked.

"I write songs." He said.

"Oh! You're a musician?"

"I am." He said.

"Would I know any of your songs?" She asked.

"Probably. Do you know Wonderwall?" He asked.

"Of course!" She said.

"That's one of mine." He said.

"I thought that was Oasis?" She said.

"It was. I used to be in Oasis." He said.