Family

"Okay, I grabbed all the apples I could. Do we have everything else?"

The snow had continued to fall into the next day, prompting the dwarves to close the front gates and prepare for the first blast of winter from the northern wastelands. The prospect of being stuck inside a mountain for months on end still hadn't really settled in the hobbit's mind yet, but Bilbo had a feeling that braving the frigid cold for a few moments outside would be very welcome in one or two months time. Unlike dwarves, hobbits did not enjoy going for long periods without sunlight. In fact, as Óin pointed out, both Bilbo and Frodo would probably develop rickets or another bone disorder if they did not spend several hours a day absorbing sunlight on their snow and wind-blasted balcony. So, in an effort to combat this problem, the Company's healer had spent all afternoon scouring the library and compiling a list of replacement food sources.

"I've already started the roasted potatoes and onions," stated Bombur, his fingers pounding and kneading a lump of dough on the counter. "And the beans and bacon are in the pot and warming up. The carrots still need cutting, though."

"I'll get right to that," said Bilbo. "How many pumpkins are left?"

Bombur paused in his dough kneading. "There should be at least two of them, if I remember correctly. The harvest was very good this year, thanks to those instructions you received from your gardener before departing. All of the human farms around Dale had an amazing turnout because of it."

"Never underestimate the green thumb of Hamfast Gamgee," chortled Bilbo. "I've never in my life met a more knowledgeable nor skilled farmer than that hobbit. I was truly surprised by Dale's selection the other month, especially so soon after the reclamations of the cities. Hamfast will be pleased to know that his letters were so helpful to Bard and the dwarves of Erebor."

"You call those letters?" laughed Bombur in disbelief. "That thing was almost the same size as Ori's journel! Twelve whole pages on potatoes alone. The poor raven could barely fly with it."

Bilbo shrugged. "What can I say? We hobbits love our food."

"And we dwarves dearly love you for it!" shouted Fíli from his place on the plush couch in the drawing room. "Mmmm, cupcakes..."

"Ugh, he's still fighting the pain tonic," sighed Bilbo. "That gash won't ever heal properly if he doesn't rest and stay off of it."

Bilbo peeked around the kitchen doors and narrowed his eyes at the oldest prince, more than a little perturbed at the lazy wave Fíli gave him. The blond dwarf had pulled a pair of stitches four hours ago, resulting in his banishment to the couch while his mother, brother, and uncle discussed the reconstruction of the eastern tunnels at a table on the far side of the room. Upset at being left out and having to take another pain tonic, the prince had been drowsily fighting the inevitable for over an hour now. Honestly, Bilbo was just surprised that Dís hadn't smacked him over the head yet.

"If I give you some cupcakes, will you button up and go to sleep?"

Fíli nodded with a dopey smile.

"Alright, give me a minute," sighed Bilbo, returning to the kitchen to retrieve an ordinary-looking bowl from the potato cabinet. Hidden inside of it were a dozen vanilla cupcakes with raspberry buttercream icing, the last of four batches that Bilbo had baked the other day. "Okay, three is all you're getting, mister. I'd rather not take the chance of you throwing them right back up."

"You're my favorite uncle," declared Fíli. And then he stuffed a cupcake, swirly icing and all, right into his mouth. "Ohhh, my cupcake uncle..."

And not even five minutes later, Fíli was sound asleep beneath a swath of quilts, the pain tonic and a full stomach finally knocking him out. It hadn't taken Bilbo long to realize that both princes were under a great deal of strain and pressure to live up to their designated roles. Fíli received the brunt of it since he was Thorin's heir-apparent, but an unpleasant amount transferred over to Kíli as well. And because Bilbo usually only saw the brothers during private gatherings, it was quite surprising when the older hobbit first witnessed their stern, attentive faces at a council meeting.