Sickness

"My tummy hurts."

As it turned out, Bilbo's day really could get even worse. He'd spent a few more hours in the library with Nori, discussing the political climate and reconstruction of both Erebor and the nearby human city, Dale. Speaking with Thorin had been the next article on Bilbo's list of things to-do when Frodo suddenly started to whine about a tummy ache and sniffly nose. The little boy had been quiet all day, but Bilbo had simply chalked it up to Frodo being nervous after this morning's argument. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to be the case at all.

"Oh dear," sighed Bilbo. His hands were pressed up against his nephew's cheeks and forehead, feeling the rising heat that was radiating from them. "It looks like that rain and cold wasn't as harmless as I'd hoped. He's feverish."

"We'd best get him to Óin, then," Nori suggested. "From what I've heard, he has a fair amount of experience in treating young children."

Bilbo nodded. "Of course, right away. C'mon, Frodo, up into your uncle's arms, that's a good boy. We'll get you feeling better soon."

"Do you still want some of these books, Frodo?"

The small hobbit looked over his uncle's shoulder and at the small pile of books in Nori's arms. Several of the fairytales and bestiary drawings had piqued Frodo's ever-curious mind, so Bilbo had thought about asking Dhola if they could catalogue and then check them out for a couple days.

"Yes, please."

Nori patted the halfling on the head. "You just have a seat with him over there, Bilbo, and I'll get these sorted out with Aunt Dhola."

"Thanks, Nori."

It only took the dwarf a few minutes to return, his great-aunt bustling behind him with a small stack of books on medicinal herbs, salves, and tonics. All of them were old, dusty, and written by famous elven healers.

"I'll be sending these along with you, too," said Dhola. She shoved the books into a rucksack and handed them to her great-nephew. "Just found them in some of those new stacks over there. Sound treatments, from what I can see."

Dhola paused before tying up the sack, hand diving back inside to retrieve a thick book from the bottom corner. She then pulled a small piece of torn paper out of her back pocket and placed it between two pages. Fingering her braided sideburns for a moment, a second and third batch of pages were soon bookmarked as well. Anxious to get Frodo up to Óin for treatment, Bilbo glanced at Nori with narrowed eyes, but all he got in response was a baffled shrug.

"All of these marked pages," said Dhola as she held up the thick book for them to see, "Are sections that pertain to small children. Specifically, those who are undersized, a category your nephew falls into. Show it to Óin."

"How do you know they'll work?" Bilbo asked.

"The elves might be a bunch of arrogant weed-eaters, but their healing techniques and treatments are second to none in Middle-Earth," explained Dhola. "If there's any text in this library that is medically useful, it's that one. And the thick red one on the left there is a book of plain liquid recipes. For the babe's stomach. Dehydration claims the lives of far too many children in this world."

"Thank you so much, Lady Dhola."

"Oh, did you hear that, Nori, dear? He called me a lady," chortled the grey-haired dwarf. "I truly do enjoy this hobbit friend of yours. He's very charming. And the lil' one has such a delightful demeanor."

Bilbo frowned, not quite sure if he should take that as a compliment or not. It was hard to tell with dwarves at times.

"Now off with you," ordered Dhola. "That sweet babe needs to be in a bed with a warm hearth and a good healer close by. Shoo, shoo!"