IV

DAY 176

"You're kidding me."

Camus' expression is solemn and serious. This answered your question very well.

"You're... you're not kidding."

With a tight scowl, Camus shakes his head.

You lean back in your seat, reeling from the news. Just as Camus said, Ren made plans to see Ai for himself. Unfortunately, Ren intends to see Ai in action in a rather unconventional way: a soiree. In normal person talk, that's a big party for very rich and fancy people to have cocktails and act rich and stuff. It's the kind of party that you daydreamed about with Ai, but this is not how you imagined it coming to fruition.

"I'm not sure if I fully understand," you murmur. "If Jinguji wants to see Ai for himself, why can't he do it in a normal way?"

"Because this is also to serve as a test," Camus explains. "This soiree will be an environment with plenty of human interaction—it's nearly impossible to avoid. I presume Jinguji intends to observe Ai from afar while he mingles with other guests."

What an ultimate test this is turning out to be. So much can go wrong and so little can go right. You suppose that is why Ren is doing this.

"How am I supposed to explain this to Ai? I mean, what logical reasoning would there be for attending a party for the elites?"

"Jinguji and I have discussed this already," Camus says with deep consideration. "He proposed that you pose as a university friend of his. Therefore, it is more natural that he invites you to a party—it is a way for friends to catch up."

Is that going to work? You've never mentioned Ren's name to Ai once in your life, unlike the names of other university friends. Would Ai believe it? What other choice do you have, though? This is the request of the absolute top, Ren Jinguji himself.

"Okay, fine. What will you be-"

"Me?" Camus tucks a loose strand of hair behind his ear. "I will be nowhere in attendance at the soiree."

"Then what will Doctor Ichinose-"

"He will not be there either."

You crossed your arms. "Then who-"

"No one from HumanityAI will be there, Doctor (Y/N)." Camus' voice dropped to a docile tone, perhaps realizing the crushing reality this is. "It will be you and you alone."

Your ribcage felt like it was collapsing, crushing your heart and puncturing your lungs so that all the air leaves.

"I... alone?"

"There will be many other elites, of course, but in terms of people you will know or work with, there will be no one else. Just you."

"But if something goes wrong-"

"The fault will ultimately fall on you," Camus nods. "Jinguji will have no one else to look at but you should D-0K1 falter or fail. The responsibility to keep Ai in check is yours alone."

"We've never done this before," you choke out. "Ai has no experience being in large social crowds with the whole purpose of socializing. It will overwhelm him! If he loses his shit, do you have any idea how many people will see that? How will I even stop him? He might meltdown! I might meltdown!"

"Stop that nonsensical prattle," Camus retorts sharply, his shoulders stiffening in palpable disdain. "If your confidence is but a frail facade, then let the model attend the soiree unaccompanied. Better yet, I shall take it upon myself to bring this entire endeavor to an abrupt halt by ending the D-0K1 experiment! I would prefer such a course of action over the pathetic prospect of an individual lacking the fortitude and conviction to lead this experiment."