Chapter 2: Awkard convo

The swing set is still up? The old cabin looked no different than how Laura imagined. Daffodils scattered the front log cabin porch in odd places, a large pile of wood piled up front, the windows were covered by dark blinds. Father’s paranoia. It looked as though someone had cookie cut her childhood memories of the place and landed it right in front of her. The old swing set sat like a lonely stranger, the wind shook the swings slightly. She felt a strange feeling creep over her spine like she shouldn’t be here, but she shook that feeling off her shoulders and stood straight, grabbing her bags and slamming the truck door behind her. 

There was no sign of little floofer, his marmalade cat he’d always gush about in his letters, or any animal at that. She stumbled over a rock while trying to carry her bags to the door. He wasn’t expecting her. For all she knew, he might slam the door in her face. But he was her father after all and even though they didn’t really have a relationship, he was obligated to accept her stay. She just hoped to settle in her room soon and lay down in her old comfy bed. She’d only planned on staying a few days. 

Knock knock. Her tired hands knocked on the familiar yet foreign cabin door. 

The door swung open. 

Lars stood wide eyed, hair and beard disheveled. He was much different than how she imagined him to look. His wire glasses were crooked, red hair carried streaks of gray, she swore she saw wrinkles on his forehead, and his eyes appeared bloodshot. 

“Who are you?” he asked, almost sounding judgemental. She wondered why? Probably his infamous paranoia. 

“L-laura” she stuttered. 

“Laura! come on in. come on in” his tired, old eyes perked up as though he were from  a cell witnessing outside for the first time. 

He pulled her tired arms in an awkward hug. She didn’t know whether to cry or smile, she did neither. She let her arms drop the bags and embraced him back. 

“It’s great seeing you,” she said. Gosh, he smelled of cigar smoke. 

He gave her a pat on the back and pulled out of the hug, smiling. 

“This place hasn’t changed a bit” 

“To my greatest pride” he beamed, opening the door for her. She stepped inside. 

The room smelled musty like old campfire wood, old 70’s couches sat in the middle of the living room, pictures of hunting trips rested on the mantle above the fireplace. A stuffed bear head hung up above the pictures. 

“Well it’s nice to be back” she forced herself to say. She’d have to find the right time to reveal why she was here and now was not the time. 

Lars scurried over to the kitchen, visible from the living room. 

“Want some coffee? I always have vanilla syrup just in case you stop by.” 

“Nah i’m good” 

“Sit down. I’ll pour you some coffee” 

“Ok” she placed down her bags and sank into the flower pattern couch. He scurried over with two steaming cups of coffee, handing her a yellow mug. She used to always drink out of  that same yellow mug as a kid. What was this? A gesture to give her nostalgia. Well that attempt wasn’t going to work. This same yellow mug reminded her of everything mother left for. He settled in the rocking chair across from her. That was new. 

“How’s your mother?” he asked with his cigar scratched voice. She guessed he probably smoked two or three cigars a day by the sound of it. 

She could tell him now, reveal the truth. Maybe it was cowardice or maybe it was pride but she couldn’t arrive after 15 years just to drop a bomb. 

“The usual” 

“That bad huh?” his eyes perked up from his coffee. Was it ridicule or worry? She didn’t know. 

“More or less,” she answered. 

“Well I'm glad you’re finally here. How's work?” He takes a sip of his coffee. 

How was work? She didn’t want to answer that it killed her being away from her job even if just for a short while. She always had to keep her mind busy and being a paramedic helped with that. 

“Incredibly boring” she lied. 

“Oh” 

Silence stopped short their conversation. Awkward silence. Laura almost felt like disappearing or running out the door never to return. Lar’s empty eyes gazed at her with excited fascination and Laura gazed at the photographs from her seat to avoid any more awkward convo. What do you say to a dad who you haven’t seen for 15 years? Perhaps she should ask him questions but a tremendous guilt drifted over her mind. She could have visited him once, but didn’t. 

Finally, with courage, she spoke. “How’s retirement?” 

“Retired? Who told you that? I still give hiking tours.” he chuckled. 

“Have you thought of moving to cincinnati?” she asked. Certainly desperation hung in her voice. 

“The mountains are a part of me as I am of them.” he coughed, covering his mouth. 

“We are worried about you. Out here all alone” 

“So?” he spat. Good ol 'Lars pretending he doesn’t care. 

“Well what if something happens?” she asked. 

“Laura. When you are old like me, death ain’t terrifying no more” 

“Certainly you don’t mean that?” 

“Yes. yes i do” 

“Well mom’s worried sick” she grasped at anything she could think of. 

“Let her be,” he grumbled. “She’s had 15 years to do something about it” 

Laura sighed. There was no use arguing with him. 

“Alright then. I gotta  settle in." She picked up her bags and hurried to her old bedroom down the hall.