Author's Note

'The Waiting That Can Not Be Waited For' is a canon divergent fan fiction of the Mainland China television show 'Lost you forever' which is based on the book of the same name written by Tong Hua.

This story has been written for The Fandom Family Awards 2023.

This is a standalone book and no prior knowledge of the show (or the novel it is based on) is required to follow this story. For those who might be interested in the world of Lost You Forever here is a short synopsis written with stress on the protagonist, Xiao Yao's, relationship with Xiang Liu which forms the crux of this fan fiction.

Xiao Yao is the immortal princess of Haoling, who, as a child had gotten separated from her family and ended up in the human realm where she was captured. After she manages to free herself, in a state of panic, her physical form alters. She spends the next three centuries roaming the human realm as a man who goes by Wen Xiao Liu, a physician, with his adopted family. One day Xiao Liu has a chance encounter with Xiang Liu who is a nine headed serpent demon currently serving as the  general of Chenrong army. He recognizes her to be a woman disguised as a man.

The duo, after some hiccups, form an unlikely friendship where Xiao Liu gives Xiang Liu the impression that the aim of his existence is to poison  the demon general. Meanwhile, due to circumstances, Xiao Liu requests Xiang Liu to help her remove a bug she has mistakenly implanted in her cousin. Despite being aware of the consequences of accepting  the bug into him, Xiang Liu helps Xiao Liu.

However, when Xiao Liu reunites with his family and turns back into a girl, her true form, and becomes Xiao Yao, the demon enters her life as Fangfeng Bei, the second son of a noble lord. Playful and flirtacious, Fangfeng Bei, except for his appearance, is nothing like Xiang Liu.

To keep an eye on Xiao Yao's cousin, Cang Xuan, the man in the race for the throne of Xiyan, Xiang Liu pretends to be Fangfeng Bei and takes it upon himself to teach Xiao Yao, who has a weak spirit power, archery.

Having fallen in love with her, but aware that they can never be together, he never shows her his heart and protects her from the shadows. All he wants is for his soulmate to stay safe and happy, even if that mean pushing her away.

Will Xiang Liu's wait ever end? or will Xiao Yao choose another over the demon, breaking the latter's heart and pushing him to his death?

Story Format

This story is written in third person past tense.

It's from Xiang Liu's point of view. He is a serpent demon who has acquired a human form after years of cultivating his spirit power.

The main genre is Fantasy.

The chapters are very short (between 300 to 700 words each) and are used as plot device to show passage of time, build tension, shift in emotions and change in mood.

The internal monologue/ thoughts are in single quotes and dialogues are in double quotes.

*****

P.S.: My apologies if the images are not being displayed as intended.