Chapter 2

"My lord," the pimp at the entrance dressed in flashy purple robes bowed his head, welcoming the duo inside. The Fangfengs were one of the most influential families in the three kingdoms, and the young master Bei, since his reappearance a few years ago after more than a decade of absence, was a regular.

"Lower your eyes, my good man," Xiang Liu filled the pimp's field of vision, "or you risk offending the king of Houling."

"My lord, don't tell me that she is-" As understanding dawned on him, panic flashed in the latter's dark pupils as he glanced at Xiang Liu to confirm before returning his eyes to the woman on the nobleman's arm. "My apologies, Grand Princess," he said, falling to his knees and rubbing his palms together, seeking mercy.

Xiao Yao giggled. Patting the man's back, she pulled him to his feet, making him blush profoundly. She missed the fond smile playing on her friend's lips. "No need to seek forgiveness. I am quite flattered. Stare to your heart's content. I am thick-skinned," she said before side-eyeing Xiang Liu and gently poking his chest. "Stop scaring people, will you? Or they will think me prim, proper, and high maintenance and will keep me from all things fun, just like my brother."

Fangfeng Bei bowed, "Noted, my lady." Color rose to his cheeks as the heat from where Xiao Yao's hand had made contact with him soaked through his robes and warmed his heart; times like this and other such fleeting moments were all he could hope for now that she had become unattainable.

Xiao Yao's heart belonged to another, but even if it didn't, Xiang Liu was more than aware that he was not the best man for her. The fact that she was the equivalent of an immortal Goddess while he was just a snake who had worked hard for centuries to grow into a powerful demon that now commanded Chenrong's army put them worlds apart.

Every moment he pretended to be Fangfeng Bei was thus precious to him.

"You alright?" The Grand Princess's concerned voice dragged him out of his reprieve. He smiled and nodded; together, they entered the establishment where noblemen came to have the time of their lives: to drink the finest wines and chase the prettiest women on offer.

Chapter word count: 389
Word count so far: 723