Chapter 5 - Qui-Gon

Start from the beginning

Vader is the first on his feet, moving for the ramp, and they follow.

It feels far emptier here than it did before, in the same way the Force has dimmed and darkened even more since the end of the war. The Ones aren't here, either, so Obi-Wan is frankly unsure where they're going to start.

"What is this place?" Mill asks, looking around, obviously awed.

"A physical manifestation of the Force itself," Vader replies, "Embodiments of the Force once dwelled here, but they are gone now."

"How are we going to find Abeloth, or the twins?" Ahsoka asks, crossing her arms.

"She is an... anomaly in the Force," Vader answers after a pause, "If we concentrate together as before, we may be able to locate her.

"You mean meditate?" Obi-Wan asks.

The helmet jumps to him. "...Yes."

Obi-Wan hasn't actively used the Force for much in so long that he doubts he'll be of much use, but they have to find the twins, whatever it takes.

***

Feeling Anakin's now dark presence pulsing next to him, so closely when they're meditating, is... seriously disconcerting. It only makes him long even more. But finally, they pick up on Abeloth's trail.

"She's by the Father's monastery," Obi-Wan realizes.

"We should go in on foot," Ahsoka says, grimly.

Vader stands oddly slowly – it's nothing like the energy Anakin always showed – and they head for the ramp together. He can't believe they're working together like this again. Though once the twins are safe, Obi-Wan doesn't know what that will mean. He doesn't know if they will be safe, so long as... Anakin is with them.

They start climbing the slope together, and he could swear it's shifting or something, because they seem to get to the top faster than they ought to. They're right outside the building, when vines suddenly sprout from the ground, reaching for them.

Obi-Wan whips out his lightsaber, slashing through them. It's been a long time since he's fought like this, but he'll have to do it. Abeloth in her human form jumps down from... somewhere up above, glaring them down. "You will not interfere," she warns, "You've made a grave mistake by coming here."

"You will give my children back," Vader snarls.

"Never," Abeloth snaps, "They are mine now. Or soon will be."

Vader lashes out first, wrapping the Force around her neck, but she shoves back violently. He staggers, oddly off-balance, but Obi-Wan doesn't wait, lunging forwards. Ahsoka leaps at the Mother next as she twists form, tentacles batting them both aside. A sharp vine wraps around his wrist, but he rips free – ignoring how the thorns gash his arm open; it's nothing remotely significant – and starts cutting through the vines again.

But just like every other time they fought her, he already knows this isn't going to go well. She's far more powerful than them, and now, she's on Mortis. So are they, but they don't have the same knowledge or skill with drawing so deeply in the Force. They're outmatched, and no one is coming to help them

Nor does he have a moment longer to consider it, because he, Ahsoka, and Mill can scarcely fight through the vines before they start growing again. Why hasn't she killed them yet?

Maybe it's only because Vader's doing a good job keeping her distracted, but he's still not coming close to taking her down.

But then, a Force-wave slams into Anakin, nearly throwing him to the ground, before Abeloth wraps the Force around him, and... starts crushing.