[001]~ 𝒜 𝐹𝓇𝑒𝓈𝒽 𝒮𝓉𝒶𝓇𝓉

The young girl wandered her way into Diagon Alley with only the initial instructions she was given; it's not like she could ask any old muggle- and anyone who actually knew how to get there wanted no business near her.

She knew she was headed the right way when she noticed people seemed more on guard. As she entered a pub most people didn't seem to bat an eye at, she knew she was in the right place when everyone's attention turned to her. The glares she got were unlike any other.

She wasn't surprised, but it still gave her chills down her body. Carefully, she made her way past the tables towards the front. "Pardon me, is this 'The Leaky Cauldron?'" She asked a barman.

He simply nodded, "y-yes ma'am. Diagon Alley's just- right there." He pointed out nervously.

She smiled politely, "Excellent, thank you." She followed along his directions to a brick wall near the back. The girl chose to ignore the exhale- likely of relief that the conversation ended safely- from the man behind her, and instead focused on her task at hand. She stood directly in front of the wall at raised her hand to knock. Three up, two across.

Tap
Tap
Tap

Before her eyes, the brick began to shift and wriggle, creating a small opening which grew bigger and bigger until she could step through it.

She was here; she was finally free to traverse Diagon Alley in preparation for her first year as a Hogwarts student. She had previously only heard rumors of the place. Rumors from Azkaban inmates were... not always the best to rely on, to put gently. So she decided instead to make her own opinion. She began to her journey logically; looking for the bank.

Her father refused to provide her with funds for her school shopping. Of course. Did she expect anything else? But she had a plan. She knew he came from a wizarding family, a well off one. Perhaps, if she was lucky enough, they might have a fund left for her father in case he would return. Here was hoping.

As she wandered around the street, she couldn't help feeling the stares directed at her. She knew she had a reputation, sure, but she didn't know it was this bad. Maybe being free wasn't the best situation.

As the young girl walked through they alley in complete confusion, she finally learned from a red-headed girl who looked to be around her age that she should head towards a bank known as Gringotts. That was the only person who stopped for her.

The red head was nice enough to lead the young girl to the bank herself. "I was headed that way anyway, need some new books." She explained. "Anyway, I haven't seen you around before, but you don't look to be a first year. Are you a transfer?" She asked.

"In a way." She explained. "I have not actually attended a wizarding school before. But I am going into the fifth year." It seemed the red-head didn't know who she was. Good. She didn't want that to change, at least for now.

"Oh cool. So homeschooling then. I've been here since year one. I'm also in 5th year so I can show you around." She smiled.

The girl watched her with amusement and smiled back. "I would like that. Thank you." She spoke softly. This girl was super friendly. She hoped someday soon she'll feel the clear ease and joy that this girl in front of her possessed.

———————————

They chatted the rest of the way to Gringotts where they split ways. "Well, I gotta go get my books, I think you'll be able to manage the rest of the alley from here, it's not too complicated."

"Thank you again, you have been so much help." The girl expressed.

"Oh really, it was no trouble at all." the red-head turned to leave before quickly spinning back around. "Oh, Merlin, I can't believe I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Lily." She established.