Chapter 3

~Extra long chapter for you all for it taking so long :) enjoy ~Porgie

Mr.Darling opens the door into what looks like an old tavern, bathed in a soft green glow. I notice several other corpses in various states of decay. It's a little worrying that I've seemed to become accustomed to the sight so quickly. I'm not given much time to dwell on that thought though as Mr.Darling wastes no time stepping into the room. He quickly moves to hold the door open for me to step through, giving a small bow as he gestures me into the warm air with a giddy smile on his face.

I can't help but smile back at his obvious excitement before stepping in and trying to ignore the feeling of several eyes on me as I wait for him to close the door. Mr.Darling pulls me from my thoughts as he offers me his arm which I accept allowing him to take the lead as he pulls me over toward a table in the back with a view of the stage.

As we make our way through the crowd I can't help but notice how happy everyone seems. Gathered around one another laughing and drinking merrily as music fills the air. It brings a lightness and joy to the soul and reminds me of when I would sneak out during the holidays and would see the other town's people enjoying the festivities, laughing and just being kind to one another. I had always wished to experience those days but when I would ask my parents they would often sneer at the suggestion before reminding me of my place above those people. I never really understood that and hearing them say such harsh words often confused me. How could I be above people who had everything I had ever wished for after all?

"A quarter for your thoughts my dear?" a smooth voice whispers next to my ear drawing me from my memory. Mr.Darling is gazing at me softly as I realize we've made it to our table. "I thought it was a penny for one's thoughts" I say as I feel my cheeks heat up. He smiles widely at me as he moves to pull out the chair sitting next to me. "A penny is too small an amount for how valuable your thoughts are to me my dear" he says as he gestures to the seat for me to sit.

I quietly clear my throat as I sit feeling my stomach explode with butterflies and my ears begin to burn at the sweet words. "I'm alright" I say as he makes his way around to sit in front of me. "I was just thinking about how lively everything seems here compared to town.'' He chuckles and gives me a rather amused look that confuses me before I catch my words. Flustered I start to stammer out an apology but before I can get any words out he laughs.

"My dear there's no need to worry" he says as he gazes wistfully down at the ring on his hand. He reaches over and takes my hand giving it a gentle squeeze as his red eye meets mine "Here we are free from the shackles of expectation that our lives forced upon us" he gets a bit of a melancholic look in his eye as he says this. A sorrow I'd not seen on his face until now, the knowledge causing a prickling pain in my heart as though his pain were my own.

I squeeze his hand reassuringly causing his eye to focus on me. I see his face relax and a small smile lifts at the corners of his mouth. He takes a deep breath before leaning closer to me. "Here we are all free to be who we truly wish to be Ms.L/N '' he states confidently, his other hand joining the one already holding mine. his red eye shining in the low light entrap mine preventing me from escaping its tender glow. "Does that include me as well?" I ask softly, feeling like the honeyed words must be too sweet to be true. If I stay here would I really be free to be who I truly want? Mr. Darling eye softens. "Of cour-"

"OF COURSE!!" An excited voice cuts in causing both of us to jump in fright. I'm barely kept in my seat by Mr.Darling who had jumped up to steady my shoulders. I place a hand over my thundering heart and turn to see a skeleton with a sword in their chest. They are being held back with a hand over their mouth by a headless caterpillar man holding what I assume to be his own head on a platter.