Chapter 2

I could do nothing more than stare up in horror at the corpse before me. Its tall body towering over me as we both locked eyes in the moonlit clearing. Its gaze is soft and loving giving a comforting feeling despite the circumstance. It wasn't until it moved that my body seemed to sense the danger it was in. the adrenaline pushing me to run. I scrambled to my feet as quickly as I could and began to run back to town. The path seemed darker and more dangerous than it was when I first stepped foot into the forest. The gnarled roots seeming to reach out at me as if to drag me down to certain death.

A soft voice behind me had my heart racing as the somehow sentient corpse began to call my name. I was tripped up by one of the roots causing me to fall and roll onto a frozen river. my chin hitting the hard surface of the ice sending pain through my jaw and tears to my eyes. I began to attempt to get my footing, catching a look at my dress now torn and dirty. Each slip of my feet increases my panic as the footsteps are approaching behind me. Reminding me of the danger I'm in. As I finally top the opposite bank it's then that I realize I'm in a cemetery long forgotten and I quickly begin to run once more. Though the cemetery explains the corpse it does little to explain how this could happen, Corpses don't just begin walking around due to vows spoken by lonely women surely. I chance a look behind me to see the corpse is now at the edge of the graveyard quickly moving towards me. Its hand reaching out to me as it once again calls my name in it's oddly sweet voice. In the moonlight his face is visible now, a loving smile on his cold blue lips.

I turn and run, my chest tight from exhaustion now thanks to this stupid corset. Curse you mother, how valuable am I to you dead! I dodge broken tree limbs and the roots bulging out of the ground. The bridge coming into view sending a wave of relief as sanctuary is finally in arms reach. with a final dash I've made it to the bridge leading to town. I stopped seeing the town crier, catching my breath as I tried to push down the urge to cry. I take this moment to check the trees I had just left to see if he was still following me but thankfully the tree line is clear. I would have to convince the people I'm not crazy but at least I'd live to see another sunrise. I turned to head back and ran into someone's chest, their arms circling me as I gasp in a fearful breath and look up into the loving face of the corpse I was certain I'd escaped.

"Hello my love" he says, tightening his hold into a hug as he presses his forehead against mine. His gaze was frighteningly loving, drawing me in against my will. It seemed like a cruel joke that the only person who looked my way with so much care wasn't even truly alive. Tears began to well up in my eyes as I gave in to the kindness as a cold hand cupped my cheek tenderly.

"I know how you feel Y/N" his eye softening as he wipes my tears "I've waited for you for so long" he pulls me in closer and this time I hug him back crying into his shoulder as the world seems to disappear around us.

Suddenly despite the cold embrace the air turns warmer as the sounds of people moving around suddenly becomes clear. I move back hesitantly to look around only to see that the Corpse and I are no longer on the bridge but inside a hallway next to a door. "I figured you'd need a second to compose yourself before we enter our reception my dear" he says kindly as he sees my confusion before looking a little flustered "Id also just like to say that you were just" he pauses suddenly looking at me dreamily "Wow"

I can feel my face heating up at the praise as I look down at my hands feeling both completely overwhelmed and incredibly happy at the same time. "You flatter me sir- Whoa" I'm unable to finish as I'm suddenly lifted off the ground and spun around as his happy laugh fills the air around us before setting me down gently holding my hands in his.

"You just said the lines so perfectly." He continues "I could never get them right when I was alive" His smile softens "I am so lucky you chose me".

I suck in a breath as I realize that while I am happy he seems to genuinely care about me. I'm still hesitant about being married to a man I know nothing about. So I breath out and place my hand over his gently as he smiles down at me. "While I am flattered sir" I say softly as I can feeling a little bad as his face falls. "I'm afraid I can't go through with this marriage." I can see his eye begin to well up with tears as he registers my words so I quickly continue "it's not that I don't like you!" my face heats up at my words but I force myself to continue past the sudden butterflies "but I hardly know you" I look down at my scuffed up dress unable to meet his gaze giving his hand a soft squeeze. "I don't even know your name" I finish quietly closing my eyes waiting for him to get angry like everyone else.

Instead I feel a hand gently lift my chin up "Wally" he says quietly. I open my eyes slowly and see him gazing at me with a look of sad understanding "My name is Wally Darling." He takes a breath closing his own eyes before standing up straighter with a look of determination. "So really this is more of an engagement" he continues sounding more sure of himself as I stare at him in shock. He once again takes my hands in his leaning in closer with a smile on his face "what you're saying is that you will marry me after I prove I can be a good husband".

"I-" I start feeling incredibly surprised someone would go through all this trouble for me, I take a deep breath and meet his eye "I guess am, Mr. Darling"

He smiles widely at me before pulling me to the door "Then let us go share the good news my lady."