Fourty | Lifeline

A suffocating grip of apprehension tightens around my heart, each beat feeling heavier than the last.

"Can you tell me which hospital he's in?" I urgently inquire.

"Margo?" My mother's concerned voice breaks my thoughts as she enters the room. "why aren't you off to school yet? You're gonna be late, and the school called to inform me that you were doing detention."

In a quick attempt to deflect her attention, I respond, "A friend's giving me a ride."

With my mother's departure, I shift my focus to Margaret, who's standing at the kitchen counter.

"Margaret, can you please tell me which hospital he's at?"

Margaret's furrowed brows display her unease as she responds, "Um... I believe it's likely the Western Hospital. Mrs. Karen often goes there for medical visits..."

"Western Hospital... Got it."

Leaving the house in a hurried stride, my chest constricts with a mixture of fear and worry. I can't help but replay Maxon's image in my mind, his face haunting me with each step. And the echo of my regretful words from yesterday reverberates in my mind, each syllable a painful reminder of what I might have done wrong.

***

"Excuse me, can I get a moment?" I wave over to the attendant at the counter. "I wanted to check if Maxon Stirling is here."

"Just give me a second," she types something into her computer. "Maxon Stirling Miller, admitted early this morning."

"Can I see how he's doing?"

"Are you a family member?"

I swallow nervously.

"No, but... I'm a friend."

"I'll need your identification."

Oh, come on! Of course, they need that!

"I don't have it with me right now," I admit.

"I'm sorry, then I can't authorize your entry."

"But..."

"Margo?" Dona Karen's voice calls out as she appears from a corridor where nurses are bustling about. "What are you doing here?"

"Dona Karen!" I walk up and hug her. "How's he doing?"

"Asleep, for now. He came out of surgery about two hours ago," she informs me, and I'm not sure if that eases my worry or adds to it.

"What happened to him?"

"He was hit by a car. The driver said he just ran in front of it, like he was sprinting. As soon as he realized what happened, he called an ambulance."

"Hit by a car?" I furrow my brows. "Was he on his bike?"

"No, his bike was found about 500 meters away from where he was."

What? What the hell happened to you, Maxon?

"Does your mom know you're here?" Karen asks, snapping me out of my daze.

I shake my head no.

"I just wanted to..." I shrug. "See how he's doing."