Seventeen

The following day unfolded like any other, with the exception of a subtle change in the air. I found myself waking up a little earlier, and to my surprise, Maxon seemed to have followed suit. As I stepped out of the house, there he was, parked outside with his sleek motorcycle, exuding a sense of intrigue.

"Are you going to ride with me today?" he asked casually, as if it were an everyday occurrence.

I caught myself biting the corner of my cheek, contemplating his offer.

"It's still early; I think I'll walk," I decided, my voice laced with uncertainty.

"Are you sure?" he furrowed his eyebrows, his gaze searching for a deeper understanding.

I nodded, a resolute conviction forming within me.

"I enjoy walking," I justified, realizing it to be a truth I had yet to acknowledge.

Maxon didn't press further, simply offering a wave as he rode off into the distance.

Perhaps it was for the best. As enticing as those spontaneous rides were, I couldn't afford to lose myself in them, becoming the kind of person I once condemned.

The thirty-minute walk to school was a serene journey, granting me ample time to arrive at the bustling institution promptly, without the need for haste or frantic running.

As I strolled down the hallway towards my locker, a peculiar sight caught my attention. There was Maxon, inside the office, engaged in conversation with a lady behind the glass door. He signed a sheet of paper, his presence enveloped in an air of mystery.

After retrieving my notebook and closing my locker, I felt a presence by my side. Turning, I was met with the sight of a blond boy, his gray eyes captivating and reminiscent of a young Leonardo DiCaprio.

"Hey," he greeted me warmly. "You're Margo, right?"

He nonchalantly slid his hands into the pockets of his skinny jeans, his demeanor oozing charm.

"Yes," I replied, my curiosity piqued.

"My name is Adam Parker," he introduced himself with a confident air.

A polite smile curved my lips as I nodded in acknowledgment.

"So... there's a party at my house tonight, and the senior year gang is going. I thought of inviting you," he said, his voice laced with a touch of allure.

I swallowed hard, surprised by the sudden invitation from a stranger. I had only recently joined this school, yet here I was, being welcomed into the social scene with open arms. Uncertainty mingled with intrigue, forming a compelling blend of emotions within me.

"What kind of party?" I asked, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, hoping for more details.

"It's a pool party," he answered, a playful smile dancing on his lips.

I knew little about this guy or the senior year gang, but what better way to immerse myself in the social fabric of my new surroundings than at a party? It was an opportunity to forge connections and find my place, even if it seemed sudden and enigmatic.

"It sounds cool. Count me in," I responded, a faint smile gracing my face.

"Great. Can you give me your number? I'll send you the address," he requested, retrieving his phone from his pocket.

I nodded and willingly shared my contact information.

"Thanks. I'll see you there," he winked before departing, leaving me with a whirlwind of anticipation.

I had no idea whether my mother would grant me permission to attend the party, but excitement coursed through my veins as I made my way down the hallway towards my first class.