𝐄𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Start from the beginning

"He did not hit the car, he was on the wrong side of the highway. Your wife's car swerved off the highway, they hit a tree, the drivers side took most of the damage." He tells me and my head begins pounding.

"Is she badly hurt? Is she paralysed?" I ask, it comes off weirdly as he stares at me for a few seconds but I just need to know if they aren't allowing me to see her.

"She is hurt, not paralysed but she will be left with a few scars. Her arm is broken, along with her other wrist which is also broken. There is some other things...." He tells me. I really shouldn't have let her go, I should have pulled her back inside like I wanted to do and make her breakfast in bed but instead she's in a hospital bed.

"And I can't see her because of that?"

"She hasn't woke up yet—"

"Is she in a coma?"

"No....Mrs." He says, he's getting annoyed with my questions but I should be allowed inside the fucking room.

"Why can I not just—"

"Miss, sit down please." One of the policemen come up to me, I look him up and down. I could punch the son of a bitch but I don't.

I bite my tongue so I don't argue, I walk over to the chair beside Janes. Jane keeps her hand to her mouth as she cries, I sit down mumbling a few curses to myself, uncomfortable as I stare at wall impatiently.

I put my hands on my lap thinking. I think about Diana, the pain she will be in when she wakes up....It's not going to compare to what she feels when she finds out that her best friend is...I want to take the pain away from her already, she's going to be heartbroken because of it all.

I should have drove her up, I should have protected her from this. I want to hug her and tell her it's alright but I can't even see her and she doesn't even know, she's asleep and clueless to what has happened.

I stand up, I need water or something. I can't sit still with these thoughts.

I walk down the hall, hearing some people talking in the waiting room. I ignore them, rubbing my head as I walk around a corner.

I spot a vending machine but a familiar woman stands in front of it, Charlie's Mom. Her shoulders shake, she puts her hand to her mouth, she steps back against the wall. Her eyes shut as she takes a breath.

I bite my lip before I walk closer. I should walk away and let be, but I can't seem to. I step back against the other wall. She opens her eyes, jumping when she sees me.

"Jesus Christ, I'm sorry..." She says, her hand going to her chest. He looks like her, I've spoken to her a few times like when I met her at school at the parent teacher conference but I never realised how much he looks like her until now.

"Don't be, I'm the one who scared you, not intentionally, of course." I say, crossing my arms. She looks at the wall, the tears don't stop, they keep falling from her eyes. The same ones which were the first to see the pregnancy test she must have took—either feeling scared or happy...maybe both actually.

"She's going to be heartbroken." Cindy cries. Of course she is going to be..

"I know, I'll take care of her. You must take care of yourself, don't forget that." I tell her and her lip trembles.

"I can't believe it....My sweet boy, he's just gone." She drops her face to her hands, I lean off the wall. I step closer, rubbing her shoulder.

"But he will never be forgotten." I tell her and she lifts her head, taking in a shaky breath. She wipes her mouth looking around.