Chapter Two

This chapter includes a very brief mention of sexaul assault. [!]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Once the first period ended, Heather immediately started her journey to the second period. She sat at her table and waited for her friends to show up. She saw the jerk she had bumped into yesterday walk in, but no sight of her friends yet. Jacklyn took her seat and laughed as Heather scooted her chair away. 

   “Wow. Let me guess, Miley doesn’t like me so now I’m a bad person?” She asked, crossing her arms.
   “She has a reason,” Heather replied.
   “Did she tell you what that reason was?” 
   “No. And I don’t care what it is.” 

   Jacklyn rolled her eyes as Leo and Miley walked into the classroom. They sat down in their seats, ignoring Jacklyn.

   “I just don’t understand why he had to put her here,” Miley complained loudly.
   “Because you don’t always get what you want,” Jacklyn replied, smiling at Miley.
   “Nobody asked for your input, Jacklyn.” He said.
   “Oooh. A nobody asked joke. How original.” She replied sarcastically.

   Leo went back to ignoring Jacklyn and continued talking with Miley. Heather ran her fingers through her reddish-blonde hair, playing with the ends of it as Mr. Cyric began explaining the different things they would be covering this year. As they made their way to the third period, Oliver walked up beside them.

   “Hey, guys. Do you mind if I walk with you?” He asked, smiling at the three of them.
   “Yes, obviously we m-” Miley groused.
   “Of course, you can walk with us.” Leo interrupted.

   Heather looked at Miley who had an annoyed look on her face. Miley quickly wiped the expression off of her face and they walked into their class. Miley smiled softly at Leo trying not to be upset with him. she moved behind Heather as they walked into the class. Once they sat down Miley couldn't keep her eyes off of them, she hated seeing her best friend in a scenario she knew wouldn’t end well for him. Miley started complaining about everything that Oliver had done to Leo in the past 3 years. Miley paused her sentence and Heather could hear the deep breath she took.

   “Anyway, he just sucks and I hate that Leo is obviously back with him. Or at least almost there.” She said.
   “We don’t know that. Maybe Leo’s just trying to be nice.” 
   “Please.” Miley scoffed.
   “It’s an idea though. Maybe he is just trying to be nice.” Heather replied.
   “He doesn’t need to be nice to him. He’s a piece of shit.” 

   Heather didn’t reply, she just brought her focus back to the teacher. Once class was over, she walked with her friends to the cafeteria, sitting at the same table they had yesterday. Oliver sat with them too, he seemed like a nice guy, but Heather knew Miley disliked him for a reason.

   “Oh, I just realized. I never got your name.” Oliver asked, looking at Heather.
   “Oh. It’s Heather.” She replied quietly, picking at her nails.
   “That’s a pretty name.” He said, smiling at her.
   “Thank you.” She said, pursing her lips.

Miley rolled her eyes at his comment, looking at him with an annoyed expression.

   “Miley, stop.” Leo said, shaking his head lightly at her.
   “Why, Leo? Because you're dating that asshole again?” She said.
   “He changed, Miley.” 
   “Oh, did he now? Like the last 4 times he changed?” 
   “Seriously Miley, what is your problem?” He snapped.
[!]“My problem? My problem is that you're acting all buddy-buddy with the guy who assaulted you!” She spat. [!]

   Heather looked between the two and excused herself to the bathroom. She took a shaky breath as she locked the door of the stall. She sat down, laying her face into her hands. She dragged her hands down her face, taking a deep breath and she exited the stall. She washed her hands and checked the time on her phone. She started walking to her class when she got tapped on the shoulder.

   “Hm?” She said, turning around.
   “Who- what do you need?” She asked, smiling at the girl.

   The girl was a little taller than Heather. She had brunette hair that fell just past her shoulders and light brown eyes.

   “Uhm Hi. Do you know where the Chemistry room is?” The girl asked nervously.
   “Yeah! I’m heading there now.” Heather replied.
   “Could- Do you mind if I walk with you? I still haven’t gotten familiar with the hallways and I lost my map.” 
   “Sure. I’m Heather by the way.” 
   “I’m Mia.” She smiled.

   Mia sat at the table beside Heather, they talked as they waited for the teacher. As the door opened, Heather looked up to see Jacklyn walking in. She sat down in front of Heather. 

   “Dammit. I didn’t think she was in this class.” Heather mumbled.
   “Who is that?” Mia replied, looking at Heather.
   “Her name is Jacklyn. I’ve never really talked to her-” 
   “I can hear you talking about me, Heather.” 

   Heather stared confusingly at Jacklyn, shaking her head as she continued her sentence.

   “Like I was saying, I’ve never really talked to her but she’s a jerk.” She said, looking over at Jacklyn.
   “Oh okay.” Mia replied, pursing her lips.

   After a few moments of uncomfortable silence the teacher walked in, making everyone turn their attention to her. As the class went on, the more lost Heather felt. She never understood chemistry, and she doubted she ever would. Once the class ended, Mia walked with her to her other two classes, sitting beside her in each of them. 

   “Do you ride a bus or do you drive yourself home?” Mia asked.
   “Oh, I walk. My house is only like a 5 minute walk, maybe even less.” She replied.
   “Oh okay. I’ll see you tomorrow?” 
   “Yeah.” Heather smiled.

   Heather opened her front door, expecting to be greeted by her brother, but was instead greeted by an unearthly silence. She walked around the bottom floor of her house, anticipating to find her mom and brother crashed on the couch or something. But instead, she didn’t find anything. She called her mom to figure out where they were.

   “Hey baby, what’s up?” 
   “Hey mom, where are you guys?”
   “Me and CC got sick so we’re staying at grandma’s for a bit. Sorry, I should’ve texted you.” Alyssa said, the faint sound of a kid crying echoed through the phone.
   “It’s okay. I love you, don’t get grandma sick please.” She joked.
   “I won’t. I love you too.” She replied, hanging up the phone.

   Heather sighed as she walked to her room, falling onto her bed. She saw a message from Miley just as she was about to turn off her phone, the message read, hi sorry for what happened at lunch. She replied to the message and turned off her phone, falling asleep shortly after. She woke up at noon, dragging herself out of her bed and into the kitchen. She made herself a bowl of cereal and sat at the counter. She spun the spoon around the bowl, taking small bites. She got up to clean the bowl when she heard her phone ring. She put the bowl down and walked into her room to answer the phone, not paying attention to the number.

   “Hi Heather!” Miley called from the other end.
   “Hi Miley.” She replied.
   “So. I was wondering if you wanted to come to the park with me and Leo?” 
   “Sure. When?” She asked, checking the time on her phone.
   “2? I still have to ask Leo and get ready and stuff.” 
   “Yeah sure. I’ll be there.”
   “Great.” Miley replied, hanging up the phone.