chapter three

Rotten Shreds

Rotten Shreds.
Nothing Out of the Ordinary.

A ruin beyond shreds. My greatest mistake, one of many, was the melodramatic act and nature of my existence. A kingdom that had once been cunning and progressive, quickly turned into my demise; ugly and abandoned, despite my proactive presence.

There was a heavy weight of loneliness and despair. Without him, much has changed and none of which I expected for the worse. Discipline of my foes, wrenched into the solo transgression of granting freedom. My people ran amuck, a tail hidden between their legs as they raged.

Turning feeble and wary. I didn't have much control as I once had acquired.

Inej and Kael were always close, either stalking, watching, or baiting my bloodied neck. They were never ones to be easily readable, let alone trusted. And so, I never let my satisfaction pleasure their needs.

They hate me for my purpose, and I love them simply for their hatred.

It's been some time, between the exit of the room, to where I now sit. Tending my husband's grave was a daily task, whether that included a kiss on the stone, or watering the flowers surrounding him; it was a departing goodbye I had to endure alone.

I picked and prodded, flowers and weeds of rot, replacing the soured soil with drenching and splayed water. Milo never cared too much for the greenery surrounding the palace, but he knew how uptight I had been about nature's health. Knowing that, he created a litter of posies in the corner of my garden.

A wretched, yet sweet surprise that I hadn't seen until I buried his body. I cried as I pitifully soaked him into the ground, covering his silk skin as the tears overtook me. I closed my eyes and never stared at him again.

It's been some time since I've had the delectation of such satiation.

The posies, once designed and grown for my tasteful and delight of flora, was now buried beneath the arches and entanglements of my husband's bated breath. I couldn't allow myself to wither just as the flowers since his inhumane bereavement.

I wasn't capable of such responsibilities.

I felt myself lose control, the knife within my grasp wobbling as I carefully chopped the remnants of the dirtied flesh off the plants. I knew someone was behind me, watching intently.

Only curious, not at all dangerous.

"You don't have to stand there, you know," I keep doing my precise work, my back continually facing the mysterious person, "I won't bite."

My act of fearfulness hindered me as the knife slipped through my hold. I dropped it with a sudden hiss, flicking my finger in the air to rid the wounding sting. I should've known better than to heighten my blood in a castle full of vampires.