I chuckle at the analogy.

The Earl grins. "Perhaps I should not say that in your presence."

"Actually, I don't think I could come up with a better description for them. Though they'll all starve to death if they keep making the Great Hall look like a slaughterhouse."

"Most unfortunate. You won't be finding that here."

"I don't blame them," I shake my head.

"You misunderstand," the Earl stops walking and turns to face me. "These people know better than to waste anything we are given, whether they agree with leadership or not."

"What do you mean given?" I question.

"We are not the farm village, therefore we get what food that we need from them. No more, usually less."

"I don't understand," I shake my head. "The village I grew up in, we always had more than enough food."

The Earl stares out over the harbor. The sun glimmers on the water, sinking low towards the horizon.

"There are rumors that you grew up in a village that raided the seas more than the mercenaries themselves," he says in a quiet voice. "Many of the Earls hope this is true. Perhaps you can make this true for us and we can stop begging for every scrap we can gather."

The seer's words echo in my head. Teach them how to raid? I barely know anything myself. Certainly not enough to lead these people. Besides, I can't. Raid wasn't an option anymore according to the gods.

"Why don't you just farm for yourselves?" I ask.

"We have no farmable land. The same reason we aren't miners or cattle herders. We were getting some food from the Saxons, but that's no way for us to live."

"You want to raid then," I ponder the thought.

"Not just me, Sire. Will you do it?"

"Teach you to raid so you can go attack other Viking villages? No," I shake my head. "The gods forbid it."

The Earl's attitude suddenly changes. His fists visibly clench.

"So you leave us all to starve save for when that greedy farm village decides to be generous?" he growls.

"For now, yes."

With that, I leave the Earl knowing full well that he's furious. Briar catches up to me.

"What did that just accomplish?" he hisses.

"We're leaving," I announce.

"But the feast!" Briar protests.

"We have our own food supply. Save the food for these people."

"Vern! What's with you!?"

I grin slightly at my friends attitude.

"Why won't you teach them how to raid?" Briar asks.

"We aren't allowed to attack anymore Viking villages. We have another option though."

Briar thinks silently for a few moments.

"South," Briar breaths. "You want to attack unknown lands."

"Are you mad?!" Briar shouts.

I whirl to face him.

"I need to get out of here and get on with this village tour. Either come with me or wait here but my company does not know that I've left for at least a half day. Understand?"