prologue

updates whenever

The klaxon sounded, letting Vic and Andy know that they needed to get the Aid Car ready.

"Herrera, move your ass!" Vic yelled as she ran down the stairs. It was a late shift for them, and Andy was half-asleep when the klaxon sounded.

"Give me a minute, Hughes!" Andy yelled back, following close behind.

They piled into the Aid Car, driving off to the given location. "Are you sure this is right? It's in the middle of a field." Andy asked as she drove.

"It's what we were told." Vic said, peering out the window as they approached the field. The two got out of the car, walking round the back to get the first aid bag and any other essentials, before walking up to the two men standing beside the Aid Car.

"Did you call this in?" Vic asked. The two men nodded.

"Yeah, we were just coming out to bring the sheep in, you know, and then Bill here caught sight of that figure over there." The older man said, pointing over to a silhouette not so far away.

Andy looked at Vic, noticing how small the figure was, and how each breath they took seemed to be a struggle for their whole figure.

They rushed over to them, turning the figure onto their side, now seeing that it was a little Latina girl, maybe about three years old. She had curly black hair that was caked in mud, and it was also all over her face. The clothes she was wearing was bordering a night gown and a hospital gown, with some shorts underneath.

"She's borderline hypothermic." Andy said after resting a hand on her cold wrist to feel her pulse, "We need to get her back to the Aid Car, now."

Vic slid a hand under the little girl's head, another under her legs, and they began to walk back to the Aid Car, smiling politely at the two men as they walked past, and they soon left to go back to the station.

Vic lay the girl gently down on the bed, and the two women could now see that it wasn't dirt on her face, but dried blood from cuts she had. Andy glanced at Vic nervously, not knowing what had happened to this girl.

Vic went to put a heat pac on the girl, when her eyes suddenly shot open, and she sat up quickly, pushing Vic's hands away from her harshly.

"Woah! Hey, hey, it's ok, it's ok." Vuc said gently, trying to calm the girl, but she just thrashed harder, muttering something in another language. Andy's ears soon picked up a familiar word.

"Cariño, tienes frío y ella sólo quiere darte esto para calentarte, ¿vale?" She said, holding the little Latina's wrist gently. Andy's eyes met hers, and only then did she notice how cold she was, so she hesitantly took the heat pack from Vic, and cautiously let her wrap a blanket around her shoulders. (Sweetie, you're cold and she just wants to give you this to warm you up, okay?).

Vic made her way to the driver's seat, seeing as Andy aas the only one who appeared to be able to talk to the girl. "¿Cómo te llamas cariño?" She asked, looking at the girl with a soft look in the hopes to make her feel safe. (What's you're name, sweetheart?).

She hesitated, not knowing whether to trust this woman, before eventually giving in, "Vera." She said, her voice just barely above a whisper.

"Es un nombre muy bonito. Mi nombre es Andrea, pero todos me llaman Andy." Andy said, noticing how the girl's eyes were darting around nervously, almost as if she was looking for a way to escape. (That's a very pretty name. My name is Andrea, but everyone calls me Andy.)

Vera offered her a small smile, before shivering gently, her body still not warmed up just yet. "Let's get you another blanket, huh?" Andy said, leaning across the bed to grab one of the blankets on a shelf and resting on Vera's front, and her shivering soon ceased.