18

Evelyn, still reeling from the day's unsettling events, decided to change the lock on her workshop basement

Evelyn, still reeling from the day's unsettling events, decided to change the lock on her workshop basement. She wanted to shield Spencer, their daughter, and herself from the mysterious and potentially disturbing secrets hidden within.

Upon entering the living room, she shared this decision with Spencer, who was absorbed in the television's glow. "I changed the lock." I tell Spencer as I closed the door. "I'd like to leave it unlocked, but I was worried because of Amelia. The stairs are too steep." 

 Spencer, recognizing the gravity of the situation, listened as Evelyn explained her motivation for the lock change. It was a protective measure against the ominous truths that seemed to lurk beneath the surface. In an attempt to shift the focus, Spencer turned their attention to an interview Jana conducted on the Maryland case. 

"Jana released an exclusive interview." Spencer tells Evelyn as he turned the volume up. "They say the Maryland serial killer case had an accomplice. Did you hear the voice? The people online are going crazy." 

"The accomplice voice?" I ask him as I start to tense up. 

"Want to hear it?" Spencer asks her as he turns on his phone. 

"No. It would just make me squeamish." I tell him. "May I change the channel?" 

Evelyn took the remote from him and changed the channel. 

"Eve." Spencer spoke. 

"Yes?" I ask him. 

"What are you doing tomorrow?" He asks her. 

"It's always the same old for me." I tell him. 

"Then make some time for me tomorrow afternoon." Spencer says. 

"Why? To go on a date?" I ask him. 

"Something like that." Spencer tells her. 

"That sounds good to me." I tell him as I lean on his shoulder. 

"Alright then. Imma head to bed first." He tells her before standing up and heading to their bedroom. 

Once spencer left, feeling a sense of suspicion lingering in the air, Evelyn stepped out of the apartment, seeking solace and clarity in the outside world. Away from the confines of their home, she felt a surge of determination, a fiery resolve to untangle the threads of this intricate web. The suspicion in her heart became a relentless force, pushing her to confront the unknown. The world outside her apartment seemed to hold both promise and peril, a stage for the unfolding drama that had gripped her life.

Evelyn, driven by a sense of urgency and the need for answers, called Jana in the hope of unreaveling the mysteries that surrounded her. However, as the call connected, Jana's voice revealed an unexpected backdrop—impatient and perhaps slightly annoyed, as if she was in the midst of a lively celebration.