✯ chapter nineteen

『 ↝ freeze ↜ 』

~ ✯ ~

ITS BEEN NINETEEN EXCRUCIATINGLY LONG DAYS. Both girls have long left Idaho and entered Washington. They were so close to their destination. The Pacific shore could be felt before it could even be seen. The enhanced wind was knotting their hair and the chilly breeze was pinching their goosebump-covered skin.

The city wasn't in the best shape and it could be noticed by just about anyone that wasn't blind. Asphalt streets were cracking, through which were growing various weeds and occasional flowers. Blush overgrown the plaster walls of the more expansive houses, as well as vines and plain we moss.

Ellie knew that their supplies were close to zero by that time. And she knew that Andie was aware of that as well. But she knew that wasn't what Andie was worried about. For the past, she didn't even know how many days, her friend has been getting more and more out of it.

It seemed like the closer they got so Seattle the quieter Andie became. She started zoning out a lot and she became sometimes unresponsive. However it's not like Ellie stayed the same either. With her, they closer they got to Seattle, the more rage she felt. She felt her anger resurface with each day. The same anger that was bubbling the day that Abby killed Joel.

So because she didn't wanna take it out on Andie, she decided to stay silent as well. Their conversations have been getting dryer and shorter. Ellie promised herself that once she got what she came for, she'd try to rebuild their friendship, or maybe something more?

She sometimes wondered at what point they're gonna finally separate. She knew that she came here for her family, but this whole time it seemed like they've been going to the exact same location.

"So.." Ellie was suddenly pulled out of her thoughts. She looked at Andie, waiting to hear the rest of her sentence. "When are we gonna talk about your uh.. immunity?" She finished.

Beforehand, Ellie did feel like it was weird that Andie's completely dropped the topic of her so called condition. She was confused why she didn't wanna know more about that thing, even though it was unseen. So rare, that most of the world had no idea people like that even existed.

Ellie looked at her attentively and said, "Whenever you're ready." Andie looked at her and scrunched her brows ever so slightly. She bit down on the inside of her bottom lip, thinking of what to say next.

"How do you know? How did you find out?" Andie asked all at once. She had so many questions. She's never even thought that's be possible. Even more that it was Ellie. Her Ellie, that had it.

"When I was fourteen I was bit, but never turned. Spores don't work on me either." Ellie replied shortly, not wanting to make it longer than necessary. She didn't like talking about that. She felt like an outcast.

Andie looked at her intently and slowly nodded her head. Her eyes wandered around Ellie's body, in search of the bite scar. Her taller friend quickly caught on and lifted her right sleeve. Andie's eyes were exposed to a very beautifully made tattoo.

She knew that she had it, but she had no idea that it was supposed to be covering her bite. She thought that she got it because she liked the idea or something. Andie took Ellie's arm into her own and lightly traced her finger across the two leaves. It tickled a bit but Ellie didn't dare to retrieve her arm.