³⁴, LEAVING HOME

Comenzar desde el principio

"But we're together now," Vex said softly, cupping her daughter's face with her hands, "Just like when I go on runs or have to help out with somethin'. No matter how far we go, or how long we're apart. I will always come back, Zep."

"Never lost. Always found."

Vex smiled, kissing her daughter's forehead.

"Come on," Vex said, "I think, if we're real sneaky, we might be able to find somethin' sweet in the--"

A loud explosion rang out, Vex cradling her daughter to her chest in instinct until the sound settled. The woman looked around, spotting panicked people talking and rushing and moving.

And even though she didn't have the energy she normally possessed, Vex lurched into motion quickly.

"Stay beside me," Vex told her daughter.

Zeppelin didn't dare argue.

The woman exited the prison with her daughter on her heels, looking around only to see one of the guard towers up in flames. She rushed toward a group in the courtyard, met by none other than Daryl Dixon.

"The hell is--"

"The Governor," Daryl said, grabbing her arm, "He wants the prison. Rick's goin' to talk to him now."

"I could just kill him from--"

"He has our people," Daryl informed, his face falling slightly. "Hershel, Michone. . . Dean."

Vex felt her heart climb to her throat, looking past Daryl to the group just beyond the fence.

Sure enough, Michonne, Hershel, and Dean stood on their knees.

"I'm gonna--"

"Help," Daryl cut off, "You're gonna help me get this place and our people ready. 'Cause that's what we can do right now."

Vex's eyes left Dean, only to look at her daughter, whose face was wet with tears.

"You go inside," Vex said, crouching in front of her daughter, "Get your bow, get your gun. You sit on that bus until someone comes to get you."

"What about you--?"

"You get on that bus, and you don't come off unless someone you know tells you to," Vex said sternly, "Understand?"

Zeppelin nodded, her lip trembling.

"I love you."

"I love you, too," Zeppelin said quietly, pulling her mother into a tight hug before taking off back to the prison.

Vex looked to Daryl, who began discreetly passing out weapons to the group.

She lifted her rifle along with the others, focusing her eye on the Governor.

She heard Carl and Daryl's brief conversation, the boy wanting to take the Governor out right then, Daryl disagreeing in worry of what it might start.

"If you say the word," Vex whispered. "I'll take the shot."

Vex wanted so badly to hear what they were saying. To be right there with Rick, knowing what was happening.

But she wasn't. She couldn't.

Her finger hovered over the trigger when the Governor held Michonne's sword to Hershel's neck, but Rick kept on talking, so Daryl placed a hand on the woman's shoulder.

The next moments happened in slow motion, and Vex would never forgive herself for pulling the trigger a moment too late.

The Governor pulled the sword back, and in one swift motion buried it in Hershel's neck.