Chapter 5: Food-Trip

Marshall POV

I started hearing seagull squawks, signifying that the rain had blown away. I slowly rise from my beanbag, shaking the bits of lint off of my fur. 

I gaze around to see all the other pups still fast asleep, I decide not to wake them up just yet as I quietly make my way over to the window. The window was quite high up for a vehicle mostly made for pups, I jump as high as I can to try and get as much of a glimpse of outside as I can, that doesn't really help much as the sunlight gets in my eye. 

I let out a yawn and another stretch as I opt for plan B, I silently slide open the door of our lounge room being careful to not wake the pups up, and make my way to the back door, as the automatic door opens up, I started to hear the seagulls squawking and the waves crashing to the shore. 

There was a light breeze but not nearly as much as it was earlier. As my paws reach the mostly dry but still slightly damp sand, I notice the amount of litter scattered around the beach. There were bits of plastic and even some water bottles just, everywhere.. I run over to where I had my pup-house parked before the storm hit, noticing that the lifeguard's hut had some bits of wood ripped out of its sides. 

I stop in my tracks, feeling my chest tighten and my mouth drop as I just look around at the state that the beach is in. I spring to action and run back to the Paw Patroller to grab a plastic bag to start the cleanup. I search around in our storage compartment for a trash bag that I could use, I find where the bags are and start trying to take one of them out, it's quite hard to take just one out with only paws but I was still trying my best to do it quietly. 

I guess I wasn't as quiet as I thought I was as the moment I closed the drawer back up I heard Ryder coming down the stairs. "Hey Marshall, whats the bag for?" Ryder asks with a yawn and a stretch. 

"The beach is a mess, theres trash everywhere." I say whilst pointing out the window. 

Ryder takes one peek out the window before his eyes showed worry. "Oh no, that can't be good." He says looking back at me. 

"I know, I'll get the clean up started, you can go and get the other pups. 

He nods in response as I pick the bag up with my mouth and head out the back door. I decide to start near the Paw Patroller and by the water, I set the bag down and start kicking the bits of trash into a pile. 

As I finish the first pile I hear the Paw Patroller doors open and some howling from the same direction, I glance over and see the rest of the pups with their own bags looking ready to clean this mess up. 

"Hey Marshall! How long have you been out here?" Chase says as he runs up to me. 

"Not too long, theres still plenty of trash to pick up, let's get to work!" I say as I push the pile of trash into my bag. 

He chuckles, "Hey, what if we make this a game? Whoever picks up the most trash gets to pick what we have for dinner." 

"Absolutely, I've already gotten a bag head start. You should probably get started too." I say looking over at the other pups. 

"Right. Let's see how long that bag head start lasts!" Chase says as he runs towards an uncleaned portion of the beach. I let out a small laugh and get back to work. "Wooh, let's get started I guess." I say as I take a glance at all the rest of the trash on the beach."

Rocky POV

"How long has it been? Is it even still raining?" I say as I slam my paw onto the cardboard below, loosening a rock.