Fitzphie (Keefe POV)

Start from the beginning

Ouch. Foster probably loved hearing that. "Whoa. What did Foster say?"

Fitz smiled. "She told me she's liked me since the day we met. I had no idea she'd liked me for that long. And then I...I tried to kiss her but before I could, Silveny started transmitting to her in pain and begging her to help."

The story of Silveny's labor and delivery temporarily drove everything else from Keefe's mind.

He was so glad that alicorn mama was okay.

And definitely wasn't sad that Glitter Butt had disrupted them before they kissed.

But then Fitz told him all about their moment under the Panakes. About how Sophie was worried about them not being matched, and Fitz telling her that there was no way they wouldn't be.

Keefe thought he saw a problem here. Wasn't matchmaking mostly about genetics? Sure, they both manifested an ability, so they had that going for them. But how could Sophie be matched with anyone when they didn't know who her biological parents were?

But maybe Forkle would tell her. Or at least tell the matchmakers.

Keefe decided it'd be best not to bring it up.

"And I don't know, she looked so freaked out by everything. I wanted to kiss her but I was afraid to, afraid she wasn't ready, didn't trust me enough. So I didn't."

All the more reason, Keefe thought to himself. If she's freaked out because she's not sure she's really that important to you, why would you not kiss her?! It's you she's not sure of.

But then, Fitz didn't know she'd already kissed Dex. Maybe he thought kissing was what she was scared of, but Keefe knew better.

She was worried about not being enough for Fitz.

Not that Keefe was upset that she and Fitz hadn't kissed yet.

"So instead I just asked her to trust me and told her we could move at her pace."

Don't throw up. Keep it together. "So Fitzphie is finally official? It's about time, dude."

Fitz just grinned at him.

Well, at least Keefe's friends were happy.

Even if he wanted to crawl into a hole and never come out.

But...he needed to go to Havenfield.

He needed to see that Glitter Butt really was okay. And she was probably having a hard time being away from her babies. Keefe could cheer her up.

And see Foster.

And tell her that he knew about her and Fitz.

And lie through his teeth about being happy about it.

So he leapt to Havenfield. Foster was out in the pastures with Silveny—right where he knew she would be.

He was usually pretty good at hiding his emotions—thanks, Mom and Dad—but this was hard.

She looked so beautiful. He knew the experience with Silveny must've been really scary and of course she managed to find a way to save the day because this was Sophie Foster...

And she wanted Fitz.

It's not like he hadn't always known. Except...she wanted him too. He'd felt it in Lumenaria.

Sometimes he wished he hadn't.

Wished he'd just known there was no hope so he could move on.

He wasn't sure moving on was even possible at this point, he was in so deep.