Chapter 5: Sweet Nothings

When Ariel was around eight years old, she began the second grade in New Amsterdam Elementary.

The only problem? She didn't speak a lick of English. The Palacios had just moved to the US a month prior. She was absolutely terrified.

That same morning , her little brother Benny took Ariel by the hand and whispered, "Ey, todo va estar bien. Pinky Promise?"

He offered his sister the pinky finger. She took it happily and they made a promise. Of course, she wasn't sure exactly when things were going to be okay, but she promised anyway. She smiled her way through her fear, as usual.

When Ariel got to her class, she noticed all the kids huddled together in different groups. They were talking amongst themselves, laughing and playing.

There was only one little girl with auburn hair, who sat by herself in the room.

"Hi," Ariel greeted, trying to remember what little English she did know. "My name is Ariel. What is yours?"

The little girl stared at her for a moment. Then pointed at Ariel's lunch box. "Barbie!" She yelped.

"Oh si, mi lonchera es de Barbie," Ariel noted then asked. "Do you like Barbie?" 

The girl nodded.

Ariel spent the rest of the school year next to her, eventually being able to understand each other. Between their broken Spanglish, and sometimes full on Sokovian, they became best friends.

Ariel and Wanda were inseparable for almost ten years. She was the only person that knew that Wanda and her family were mutants, who ran away from Sokovia hoping that they wouldn't be persecuted in the states.

The girls kept no secrets from each other, Ariel had seen the magic her best friend could create many times. But when she became spider-woman, she knew Wanda could never know. It would compromise the double life she had created.

Of course, that didn't end up happening. So two people on earth 1389 knew Spider-Woman's true identity, Mr. Yoshi and Wanda Maximoff.

The beach trip started out calm. Everyone met up at HQ to take a portal for Inez's earth. Then they jumped on a rented van for the rest of the way.

Ariel had done some shopping the day before, (on Miguel's dime of course) where she got a green polka dot bikini and a cute yellow sundress. She also took the chance to buy herself some actual pijamas. She couldn't keep sleeping in her undershirt and panties much longer.

She packed everything neatly all in a small mint suitcase. Miguel didn't take much luggage either, only a blue duffel bag that wasn't even full.

"Is that really all your taking, boss?" Pavitr asked as he threw his two large cream colored suitcases into the back of the van.

"We're only going to be there for a night," Miguel replied. "What's even in those? You packed like you're going to Europe for six months."

"My Instagram is dry!" The boy exclaimed, flipping his luscious locks. "I couldn't decide on an outfit so I just took all the good ones. Also! Gwen didn't have anywhere to put her stuff."

"Don't blame me! My stuff doesn't even take up an inch of space, Pav." Gwen said with a smirk, pushing in the third suitcase and closing the trunk. 

"Get a move on, people!" Inez shouted, slamming on the horn of the van."We have to be there before noon."

"Excuse me? Who told you you're driving?" Miguel nagged, closing in at the passenger window.

"Uh, me? I rented the car!" Inez sassed.