Chapter 2: ...Ready For It?

That night, Miguel instructed Gwen to show Ariel the way to his apartment in the outer parts of Nueva York. Hobbie on the other hand, went back to his own dimension, for an early night sleep.

He also just didn't feel like doing it.

The apartment was a bit of ways away. A forty-five minute train ride and a five minute walk. That was a lot, considering Nueva York had the fastest public transit system in the nation, it wouldn't take more than a few minutes to get anywhere.

Miguel made it a point to live as far away from everyone as possible. Not like he spent much time at home anyway. He was often pulling all-nighters in his office and only went home to sleep and shower.

"So..." Ariel whispered, not wanting to bother the people in the train. "Does Miguel like, have a family or something?"

Gwen turned her attention away from her phone, a little surprised by the question. "Well... no," she said wearily, "I mean he used to from what I know, but he doesn't talk about it at all. Why?"

"Oh I was just wondering," Ariel muttered. "I mean he looks old enough to have kids, so I just assumed—"

"—Younger kids I guess, Miguel's in his thirties."

"Shut up!" The older girl yelped, very surprised at this information. "I could've sworn he was older. But don't tell him I said that..."

Gwen raised an eyebrow. "Okay, I won't..." she let out. "Just a heads up though, pick-up lines aren't going to work on him."

Ariel cringed, remembering that embarrassing first encounter with her brand new 'boss'.

"Yeah I gathered that." She sighed. "I was just trying to break the ice though. It wasn't like that."

"Sure it wasn't." Gwen smirked as Ariel rolled her eyes. "Oh, this is our stop."

Both girls walked out of the train and towards the street where Miguel's apartment was. It had many tall and fancy looking buildings with glass windows that shone even in the darkest of nights.

"He lives in the building over there." She pointed at a silver tower with glass doors. "It's the penthouse on the eleventh floor, Lyla can let you in."

"Oh, you're not coming?" Ariel asked, nervous to enter such a fancy place by herself.

"As much as I want to see how insane his apartment must be, I can't stay..." Gwen got her watch ready to take her to Hobbie's universe. "We have patrol in the morning and I haven't been sleeping well lately."

"Alright, see you tomorrow Gwen." Ariel waved and smiled at her new friend. "And... thanks."

Gwen waved back, giving her a small smile. She opened a portal and vanished into it.

When she had finally reached the eleventh floor, Ariel was met with a very bare looking apartment.

There was furniture and a whole bunch of tech items she didn't recognize, but it almost seemed as if no one lived there. Like a display home for sale.

There were no pictures on the walls, no paintings, or even a single plant for Miguel to water and coexist with. Although the view from the balcony was amazing, you could see the entire city from it.

"It looks like a catalog house," Ariel noted.

"Yeah, Miguel isn't big on decorating," Lyla said, now appearing on Ariel's right shoulder. "Luckily he does fill up the fridge, just in case he gets the munchies when he gets home."

"Oh good, I hope he doesn't mind if I just fix myself a sandwich." Ariel walked over to the kitchen and opened the fridge, inspecting it for ingredients.