she purses her lips as she speaks, "a break has been found in the case of the missing fifteen year old student, kazuha kaedehara."

ajax stares at the screen full of nervousness as she explains how and when he disappeared- information he knew very well. ajax's eyes dart to haruki who was still fast asleep on his couch. he was tempted to wake the boy up but he wouldn't. just in case they came out with the worst news possible.

"a letter was found from the young boy near his home." she says and ajax's brows furrow, a letter? a letter is the only new evidence that they've found? everything was so ridiculous at this point.

the woman continues on, "the letter was found crumpled with the boy's own dried blood and dna belonging not to him but someone who the police think are his captor."

ajax is so tempted to cheer because hey, it's done- it's over! but ajax can't help but feel as if that's not right because really? a letter that someone had let kazuha send is what catches them? why would they even let him if they wanted to keep him for as long as possible?

the woman purses her lips, "the police are working on identifying them as we speak. we will update you as this case unfolds."

the rain trickles down slowly as the lights in the apartment flicker as all ajax can do is stare at the television screen blankly as the newscaster changes her mood quickly, moving onto another fun and not as depressing topic.

sudden ringing of his phone wakes ajax out of his thoughts as he moves to the phone quickly, hoping haru wouldn't wake up from it.

ajax picks up the phone, pressing it to his ear and before he can even greet the other person on the line they speak, "did you see the news?"

ajax nods, "i did. do you think they'll actually find him and whoever, you know?"

he can hear ayato sigh on the other line, "no. no, i don't think so. the letter, it's not enough."

ajax furrows his brows, "you've seen it? the letter?"

ajax swears he can hear ayato purse his lips on the other line, "yeah. i- yes, i have."

"really?" ajax asks as he continues, "do you think... you could maybe-"

"ajax." ayato says firmly, "i could. but i don't want you to see it. it's horrible."

"ayato-" ajax says but before he can even continue he can hear ayato sniffling.

"ajax, you know that if we get kazuha back, he won't be the same?" ayato asks, "do you know that?"

ajax is quiet. he knows that. he knows that kazuha won't be the same happy-go-lucky and fun to be around boy that he always was if kazuha came back. he's afraid to think about what could have changed about him. he's not even sure if kazuha will be the same person.

"i do." ajax whispers.

"do you?" ayato asks, "even this small letter, he's changed so much. this doesn't even sound like kazuha."

"what... what does he say?" ajax utters out and he's scared of the silence on ayato's line. all he can hear is soft sniffling and cars in the distance before ayato speaks.