Chapter 17

In the days after Christmas, Hawthorn watched the news like there was nothing else to do with his day. He waved off Seraphina's concerns that he was becoming obsessive. It wasn't an obsession. He was monitoring what the news said about the deaths and what was happening in parliament. At least what the media was telling the world. Hawthorn was fully aware that there were vast differences between the truth and what the world was told.

Seeing something interesting, Hawthorn stopped his loving attention on Seraphina's tired feed and turned up the volume. Both watched with interest as the reporter announced that Benjamin Anderson had been made Prime Minister.

The news turned towards Jack's demise and the string of bad luck his family had endured. Hawthorn rolled his eyes and turned off the television when the report was done.

"Bad luck," he scoffed.

"Better that they think that than investigate." Seraphina offered.

"How true."

He glanced at his watch and realised it was almost time for his meeting.

"Duty calls. Will you be joining me in the meeting?"

"Will you be transporting the lounge to your office now that you've ordered me to bed rest?"

"I am only trying to help you get through this time with as little issue as possible. Elena has said that she is worried about the baby, and I agree with her."

"It's the size of a pineapple, and the doctor said everything is fine."

"And you received a lot of trauma in the stomach area. You can argue as much as you like. This is where we will always end up. Speaking of the doctor, did you find him accommodating to your needs?"

"He's fine."

"Good. I will organise for him to monitor the pregnancy over the next two months, and he can join us at the sanctum when we return."

"Don't you think it would be ideal to stay here in London while the renovation is going on? I don't want the banging and constant noises to wake the baby. Or me."

"I suppose that turning this into our home base for a while would be more ideal. We would need to visit to ensure that everything is being done to our liking."

"That would be the job of a site foreman."

Kohen appeared at the doorway, looking flustered.

"Or you could send Kohen there as a holiday," Seraphina muttered.

"You're so hilarious."

Hawthorn gestured for Kohen to approach.

"Benjamin Anderson has arrived."

"Were there any followers or observers with cameras?"

"No. He was well covered and had the advantage of it being one am."

"Alright, bring him up."

When Kohen left, Hawthorn leaned over and stole a kiss.

"Behave yourself."

"I can get up to do things, right?"

"Within reason. All I ask is that you listen to your body and rest when you need it. Take regular, long breaks where you put your feet up. Nourish the body and our baby."

"While going mad from boredom," Seraphina grumbled as Hawthorn walked away.

Hawthorn entered the office and settled into his chair to review the notes that Orin and Kohen had created. The surveillance they'd conducted when it was obvious that Benjamin Anderson was going to become the new prime minister.