Chapter 3

Hawthorn looked at the robust figure as he dumped the satchel bag on the chair. Dressed in a suit, Hawthorn could tell that Alfie had only just returned to the consulate. The hem of his pants was damp, which showed that the town car had dropped him at the door, and he'd walked a few steps through the snow. The sight added to the anxiety in Hawthorn's mind. Seraphina was out in that weather.

"I warned you against this," Alfie grumbled. "Black mailing Wesley was a dangerous thing to do. Then you started spouting rubbish about getting immunity from him. I said don't do it."

"I seem to recall you waffling something like that."

"And yet, here we are. We don't need immunity if we remain hidden and maintain a bag diet."

"For the most part, you are right. Although we are not murderers anymore, I like to make sure that we address all issues. It was obvious that Wesley was not interested in any form of bribery. Surely you agree that having politicians and the law in our pocket is ideal, right?"

"Yes, but look at the cost. You didn't listen to me, like always. Nesrin is dead, and Seraphina is missing, but at least you had fun goading Wesley, right?"

"Perhaps," Hawthorn hummed. "Did you find anything more about Nesrin's murder?"

Alfie huffed as he pulled out the folder from his bag.

"I'm your lawyer, Hawthorn, not a detective or a spy. Don't you have a team to do this nonsense for you?"

"I do. However, you're more legally minded, so I prefer you do it. Besides, I pay you to work for me and searching for information is better than sitting on your arse all day doing nothing."

Hawthorn reached out to take the folder, but Alfie pulled it back, earning a frown from his king.

"Are you sure that you want to see this? Once you open this folder, you will always know who her killer is."

His eyes widened, and Hawthorn stood from his seat.

"You found out," he whispered.

Fear filled his mind as he stared at the folder. This was it. In front of him was the answer.

"I did, and you won't like the answer. That's why I ask as I do. This is a dark path, Hawthorn. Tread carefully."

Hawthorn took the folder, and Alfie glanced at Kohen. The grim exchange was silent, both fearing how this would turn.

Opening the folder, Hawthorn braved the situation and began reading Alfie's notes. His legs loosened, so he sat back down.

"It came from the top," Hawthorn murmured softly. "Wesley ordered her death."

"Yes. I found the paper trail that leads directly to him. He decided that dealing with vampires was too much for him to handle. It was clearly too much of a risk if the public found out that he'd kept the secret and, of course, if you believe it, a danger to society."

"Like he actually cares," Kohen muttered. "Wesley's only concern is if the public finds out about his dirty secrets. We are one of them, and it's clear that he's been trying to take us down for a while. He started with Nesrin and then tried again with you. The only reason we know the truth about his involvement in your attempt was because of Seraphina."

"That is true. The problem that we face here is that we can't do anything about it. If we go public with the information, we expose our entire race. It would land Wesley in a lot of hot water, but he'd get a rap on the knuckles, maybe booted out. The cost to our citizens would be extreme. I can see a lot of fear and hatred aimed at us if the public finds out we exist."

"Mostly fear," Kohen interjected.

Hawthorn stood. Both Alfie and Kohen thought he looked resolute and had a simple plan in his mind.

"I will be back in a moment."

Stalking out of the room, Hawthorn left the two a little bewildered. Alfie sighed as he wondered what madness Hawthorn was planning. It always resulted in a headache for him.

"You know Wesley has the queen, right?"

Kohen nodded.

"And her guard. Reina hasn't returned, and the guards could not find her in any of the streets or laneways. I fear for her life because she will not be as valuable in Jack's eyes. Seraphina will live, but I don't know about Reina."

Alfie rubbed the back of his neck as he wandered to the window. The storm had been relentless, snowing constantly. Alfie had lived a long life in and around London. He'd seen the best and worst of the weather. This was definitely getting close to the worst.

He thought it was doubtful that any shops would be open, and he knew that the queen would have returned because she was on foot. If she'd gone somewhere in a car, then perhaps she might have stayed out longer.

"I believe that both the former kings had planned to seek diplomatic immunity. Jack aims his anger at all of us. Hawthorn is just the primary target."

"I've read their notes. They think that if we are leaderless, then we will fall. What fool made them think that?"

"I don't know, but it is fairly standard for a leader to be a target, regardless of their species."

Hawthorn returned to the room. His mood was simmering, angry but accepting. He had to keep his cool. Otherwise, he would throw things.

"Kohen, please contact Jack and ask him to come here."

"Now?"

"Yes, now. I don't care if a tsunami is about to wipe out the entire country. I beckon and he comes running like a good little puppy."

Kohen nodded, wondering if it was a good idea toantagonise the Prime Minister at a time like this. Of course, this was true toHawthorn's nature. If there was a sore spot, he would push it until he got areaction.