16.9 - Stormbringer

Start from the beginning

Chuuya grabbed Dazai. "Then why are we just standing here?! Yokohama will be destroyed and the Port Mafia will disappear!"

"Then what should we do? You want to bring that ever growing giant over and have a fist fight?" Dazai looked at Chuuya through cold eyes. "It's impossible. Can't you see it? This is a singularity, something that takes on a form through the loopholes in this world, something that shouldn't exist. It's not something you can beat like a human."

"That's not true." Chuuya stared back at him for several seconds, his eyes passionate. Then, he let go of Dazai and said, with vigor in his voice, "I know there's a way to defeat it. There's gotta be."

Dazai half-fell, half-sat on the ground as if he had lost his strength. "Hahaha, how interesting. What makes you say that?"

"Verlaine. When I was inside of him, I saw his memories."

"His memories?" You gaped, to which Chuuya nodded.

"Memories of when he had taken me from the research facility. He and Rimbaud had a fight over me before it turned into a full-fledged battle. It must've been right after that where he fought Arahabaki and lived to tell the tale."

Dazai narrowed his eyes. "I see. So it's like that, huh?"

"Yeah. There's a way to erase Arahabaki's—a singularity's existence. He showed me that memory in order to tell me what it was."

"Shall we talk about this over a cup of coffee, then?" Dazai grinned meaningfully.

A long discussion later, you were stationed with all the soldiers once more, waiting for Dazai's signal again. The idea was to unleash Arahabaki, and have it clash with Guivre in the hopes that the beast would die down upon that impact. Either this plan would work, or you would lose your closest friend and your boyfriend on the same night.

"Chuuya's off to attack. All members, prepare for battle." Dazai informed.

The two exchanged multiple punches and attacks, each getting closer and closer to death by the minute, until Chuuya was close to collapsing.

"Squad 2, fire!" Dazai's voice echoed on the walkie-talkies. "Don't worry about firing at the same time! No matter what, whoever has the capability to fire, should!"

Countless mafioso held cylindrical weapons over their shoulders, firing up at Guivre from buildings, roads, and transport vehicles.

They held portable rocket launchers. It was the strongest weapon an individual person could have with enough firepower to demolish tanks, aircrafts, and even enemy facilities. If they just aimed and pulled the trigger, the rocket launcher would automatically destroy a target. It's explosive power was truly incomparable to hand grenades or other thrown explosives.

This was a swarm of mafioso who had gained too much individual power through an underground weapons deal. It was a battalion strategy that not many people, ability users included, could withstand.

However, when the smoke cleared, even after all that Guivre didn't have a scratch on it.

"Don't worry, this is fine!" Dazai shouted into the walkie-talkie. "Just keep it's attention focused on the ground!"

You grit your teeth and sent wave after wave of flares just above ground level, accompanies by the shining light of explosions bursting. The black holes of Guivre fired down in a counterattack that ripped across the ground. The darkness tore through the earth and turned the mafioso to dust before they could even let out a scream.

However, the mafioso didn't flinch. The survivors readied their rocket launchers and fired at the beast.

Guivre was the incarnation of energy, it had no personality. It was nothing more than a mass of hatred that moved accordingly and fought hostility with hostility. Because of that, it didn't have the capacity for risk awareness and couldn't prioritize which opponents it should attack first. Therefore, if they focused its attention on the numerous mafioso attacking it on the ground, Chuuya could move freely.

From behind Chuuya's back, two sensory organs that controlled gravity grew from both his left and right side. It was Arahabaki's tail, a manifestation of the godly beast that burned black. But, since it was coming from Chuuya's back, it looked like a pair of wings.

The winged Chuuya shouted and lifted up his hands. That was the command for his spinning black holes to continue growing. The halo shone bright like a supernova and sliced Guivre's body in half from the inside. The spinning black holes were wider and bigger than the beast and completely crushed it's shoulder, all the while a single halo floated over it. It lit up the Yokohama night sky and burned deep into the people's eyes.

"So this is Arahabaki's... Chuuya's true form?" Dazai coughed, his voice delirious from the heat, as he looked up.

The halo stood atop his raised arms and black wings blazed behind him. Chuuya's eyes were closed and just like that, he looked like a malevolent god. A dark, demonic beast.

Underneath the halo, Guivre collapsed and got sucked in. It was the process of infinitely positive and infinitely negative energy cancelling each other out. It's giant body broke apart, it's flesh turning into snow-like particles that gently danced towards the epicenter of the halo.

Because time slowed down in high gravity regions, the beast's destruction seemed to move terribly slow from an outsider's perspective. One could even call it graceful.

Guivre wasn't shooting anything at them now. Now only its mouth remained open while it stood completely still, like it was coming to terms with its own existence. The halo on his chest swallowed its waist and chest, arms and legs, and finally, its head.

It didn't make a sound, just peacefully disappeared.

The moonlight was oddly fitting for death on this terribly quiet night.

Chuuya limply drifted in the air for several seconds before the black wings on his back slowly lowered him. Dazai caught his body.

The minute he touched his body, Dazai's ability nullification activated. The self-contradictory singularity energy that sustained him retracted in on itself as the singularity's power outlet decreased. He eventually returned to normal and his gate closed. The red marks plaguing Chuuya's body pulled away.

The field of gravity disappeared and the stillness of night was restored.

"Good work, Chuuya." Dazai looked down at the fainted Chuuya and laughed a little. 

"You're lucky I forgot to bring my fountain pen or else you'd have doodles all over your face."