7 - Kill a Man and Die Thee Too

"Where the fuck is Osamu?!" You panicked, slamming the door open.

"We were just talking about him, actually," Kunikida informed. "I bet he's down the river again."

"Perhaps he buried himself!"

"Back in prison, no doubt."

"Wait, L/N-San is concerned about Dazai-San?" Atsushi hummed, curious.

"Yes! The idiot usually texts me if he plans on dying," you groaned. "He's not in our apartment either!"

"And he wasn't answering his phone either. Could it be that.. after the other day's events," Atsushi began, "that the mafia got to him?"

"Please," Kunikida scoffed. "That man's survival instinct is out of this world."

"He's attempted suicide dozens of times, but always comes out unscathed," you reminded. "If he can't even kill himself, how could the mafia ever manage it?"

"I'll look into it!" Tanizaki offered, trudging out of the infirmary.

"Tanizaki-San, you're alright?" Atsushi beamed. 

"You owe much to Yosano-Sensei's treatment," Kunikida sighed.

"How many times did she take you apart, kid?" You snorted. 

"....four times," Tanizaki shuddered. "Atsushi-kun, whatever you do in this agency, do not allow yourself to get hurt."

"It's your fault for not running the moment you knew you were dealing with mafia," Kunikida scolded.

"That's called a 'knack for avoiding trouble' - a real survival instinct!" Ranpo chirped. "So like this - danger's coming in about ten seconds."

Just then, you heard a clearly bored yawn coming through the halls.

"I gotta water my kitchen floor."

"Walking my pet goldfish."

"Suddenly I have lost all ability to converse in Japanese."

"I gotta call my parents."

And just like that, everyone had run off, leaving Atsushi alone in the room which Yosano would inevitably enter. Usually, when Yosano took one of the guys, they were only there for carrying bags. On the rare occasion where you would join her, she'd turn it into a full-day shopping trip. Those are usually fun, but you didn't need any clothes right now, and hence didn't join her. Once Yosano had left the building, all of you came out from hiding once again, and continued the work at your desks.

"L/N-San, there's another mafia case for you," Kunikida informed you, setting a pile of papers on your desk.

Even within the agency, everyone had their own specialities - the field of crime investigation they excelled in. Ranpo took care of murders, while Tanizaki handled reconaissance. Similarly, Kenji handled things like smugglers, or any petty organised crime, while Dazai and Kunikida tended to take care of day-to-day crimes such as unauthorized ability usage. Your speciality just so happened to be the apprehension of mafia fugitives.

The current case was about a fourteen year old girl, who'd joined the mafia six months ago. In the short time, she'd killed thirty-five people. She always had a small phone at hand, and from what you heard off the streets, her ability was controlled through it. Unfortunately, there weren't many people around her, meaning it was especially difficult to find her in a crowd during which lost children were normal. 

"No details of her name," you groaned. "Kaaji Motojirou is one of the few mafiosi whom we are well-informed about, and there haven't been many sightings of him either."

"You and Tanizaki could always to a base investigation," Ranpo suggested. "Knock two people out and have Light Snow portray you as them, you'll definitely get some dirt that way!"

However, before you could respond, the agency landline rang.

"Detective L/N here, how can we help you?" You asked, picking up the phone.

Silence.

"Yokoham Railway Network, Line 7. Minatomirai."

A location.

You gasped and hung up, throwing on an overcoat and grabbing a gun.

"L/N-San?" Kunikida asked, confused.

"One of their phones got crashed, the emergency sequence started!" You explained, rushing out. "They're not too far from here, I'll just borrow a car!"

You didn't have a license.

Or rather, you didn't have a license anymore.

Due to the damage done to your eyes through the extensive usage of your ability, you were no longer legally allowed to drive. Of course, because of this, you didn't keep a car around either since Dazai couldn't drive either. However, unlike him, you knew your way with a car.

So of course, you did what any reasonable person would do, and hotwired a car. Thankfully, it was the middle of the day, meaning there wasn't any work traffic, allowing you to get to the location within a few minutes.

That's when you saw the disaster.

A train, of which both the front and back carriages were completely exploded. Windows were shattered, and people were trying desperately to somehow escape the confines of the train. Then, a badly bruised person jumped. You instantly created a platform of solid light, upon which he fell.

"Sorry, gotta keep you alive!" You yelled, creating multiple stepping stones for you to jump off.

Before long, you'd reached the height of the bridge, and slowly began siphoning out the flailing citizens. With them calm, and out the way, it would be easier for you to find your comrades. Yosano likely wouldn't heal Atsushi right now, unless he was already near death's door, and that was the same case for herself. After all, the doctor was a smart woman who knew when, where, and how to spend her energy. Just as you'd gotten the last of them out, you saw a young girl jump out of a middle carriage, and then a familiar figure leap right after her.

"Atsushi!" You yelled, reaching a hand out in an effort to create a platform.

But you were a second too late. Both Atsushi and the girl plunged into the water.

"Damnit!" Yosano grit out from above. 

She used the floating platforms you'd created to saunter down, allowing you to diffuse them after each step she took. Just as she reached the ground, Atsushi and the girl resurface, coughing their lungs out.

"What happened?" You asked Yosano.

"Kaaji Motojirou," Yosano sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "I'll tell you over drinks later."

You nodded, and trudged along to where Atsushi and the girl sat. Or rather, Atsushi lay down, having passed out from exhaustion and the girl was sat beside him.

"You're the kid that killed thirty-five people, aren't you?" You asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm Izumi Kyoka," she droned. "I have killed thirty-five people in the past six months, but I don't want to kill anymore!"

You recognised the way she spoke. Months upon training and indoctrinisation was the only thing that could result in such manners. She held herself as if she were a robot, one that wasn't allowed to show any signs of being human. It was a characteristic you knew all too well. For not only had you been brought up to behave as such, you had also trained others to follow in your footsteps and act in a similar fashion.

Those were the tragic tales of the Port Mafia.