16.1 - Stormbringer

"Just heard that some crazed assassin is trying to kill Mori-San," Dazai hummed from your lap. "That Paul Verlaine guy from last year."

"We should let him die," you shrugged, running your fingers through his hair.

"Definitely," Dazai snorted. "Except then we won't have money."

"..... alright then how do you plan on turning this around?" You sighed.

And so, Dazai got to work, deceiving anyone that attempted to target Mori. It wasn't long before things had progressed as he wanted them to, and Dazai dragged you off to a military facility where Verlaine's target was held. The problem? Verlaine's target was Chuuya, and the ginger was accompanied by a former Sheep friend called Shirase as well as a mechanical investigator.

The two of you came in just as a soldier aimed his gun at the machine in the middle of the massacre. Both of its hands were on the ground, meaning it was completely defenseless, unable to think up any way out.

The soldier's body sprung up.

His body convulsed with the bursting sound of an electrical shock and he dropped his gun. After a few seconds of agonized sounds, he lost all power and fell to the ground.

From the back of the corridor behind the soldier, someone appeared.

"How boring," that person said, dropping the taser gun that was typically used to disperse riots. "Even with electricity, killing people is just killing people. I'm so bored of it."

"You're... From the Port Mafia."

Dazai Osamu.

The person who dragged Chuuya-sama into the Port Mafia.

"Nice to meet you, Investigator-san. Where's Chuuya-kun?" You greeted, stepping out from behind Dazai.

Dazai threw away the taser gun with indifference, and turned to face the investigator.

"Chuuya-sama is..."

"Has he already been captured? Or maybe it's around the time you've rescued him." Dazai stepped over the incapcitated soldiers and walked over to the machine. "That's not any fun. That means I missed Chuuya being tortured and bawling his eyes out."

"Tortured? Chuuya-sama?" The Investigator gaped.

"'Why has he come here', you ask? I'll tell you," Dazai began. "I'm here because this is part of the plan. 'What plan', you ask? I'll tell you. Everything. From beginning to end, the events of this Verlaine incident have been in the palm of my hand. 'What do you mean', you ask?"

"Osamu, stop being a pain and get to the point," you groaned, rubbing your temples.

"I'll tell you. Everything, literally everything—from Verlaine's targets, to Detective-san, to Researcher-san—has been based on the information I gave him," Dazai confessed, much to the investigator's surprise. "In other words, the protocol for his assassination plan has also been the protocol for my plan. Now you want to ask, 'Why would you do such a thing?'"

The investigator seemed to struggle to process this, even with his computer brain, as he attempted to run through all the possibilities of Dazai and Verlaine's relationship to one another.

"It was to earn time before he reached his biggest assassination target. His final target is the Port Mafia's boss, Mori Ougai. Mori-san was originally going to be the first one killed, but I manipulated the information so he was last on the list," Dazai smirked. "Thanks to the time I earned, the preparations for his inverse assassination are almost done. But before that, we need to make the final touches."