16.8 - Stormbringer

Start from the beginning

The beast raised its head. Its body and tail were flames, and its highly dense body was jet black, almost as if it were absorbing the night sky. It had eight red eyes and rusted silver for rows of teeth. The outline of its silhouette was unstable because of the high energy, and the atmosphere mixed with oscillation. The figure, as tall as a skyscraper, had a reptilian mouth and appearance.

However, it was nothing like the living beings on Earth. The closest thing to it were the monsters found in fairy tales, the demons who ruled over chaos, and the wicked dragon. That thing was too ominous to be called a god.

The earth boiled beneath its feet, and the mafioso who were late to escape let out screams before dying shortly after.

It was a breathing calamity, a creature that existed not on the scale that humans do, but on the scale of the universe.

It's roar of ruin filled the atmosphere.

Not even a few minutes later, disaster ensued.

There was a giant ball of heat before a bright red sphere of light that seemed to reach the heavens appeared.

First, the flames wrapped around the beast like a membranous material. Then, from the earth beneath its feet to the top of its head, smoke and fire surrounded it like a bubble of soap before it imploded.

Everything melted. The trees nearby burst into flames and quickly turned into a white smoke. Even the earth turned into a boiling sludge before evaporating.

In spite of the scorching ball of hell on the inside, the outside was surprisingly quiet. The trees outside the perimeter of the ball of flames coolly swayed, and the only part of that hell that escaped was the bright light.

The ball of flames brought the beast down to size as it burned to nothing. It let out an anguished scream, but even the air had entered pyrolysis so a single sound couldn't escape the entrapment of flames.

This was all a weapon of singularity created by a gifted British engineer. Named the weapon of extinction, it could not burn anything that was outside of the incineration radius. It was based on the time travel ability of a certain ability user and created a singularity on purpose. Due to it's overwhelming heat output and radius that can be set to several tens of kilometers, it was labeled one of the "Three Greatest Disasters" of the war and is officially prohibited to use.

The ball of fire burned until everything had been melted away, completing its role and turning to smoke before disappearing. All that remained was a perfectly carved circle in the earth, trees that were outside of the combustion radius, and the black tail of Guivre that also remained outside of the combustion radius.

There was nothing else, not even a single piece of what was left of Adam.

"Oh my god," you choked, causing Chuuya to turn to your direction.

"What, you're still alive, Chuuya?"

He turned back to that voice filled with loathing to see Dazai walking through the trees. Dazai threw something at him, though Chuuya stopped it right before it hit him. It was Verlaine's black hat. Soon after Verlaine's gate had opened, the hat had been blown away and disappeared somewhere.

"Dazai." Chuuya turned his sharp, reserved gaze on Dazai. "I don't feel like talking to you right now."

"I found N's corpse." Dazai said without a care in the world for what Chuuya had said. "He was crushed underfoot. Now, everyone who knew whether or not you were a human have all disappeared... Are you frustrated?"

"You tell me. I..." Chuuya stared at the remains of Ground Zero. He opened his mouth to continue, then turned to Dazai as if he had realized something. "Wait. You mean, you've found another way to tell if I'm human or not even without N?"

"Looks like I've been had." Dazai laughed without an ounce of guilt. "I managed to capture a few subordinates of N's at the research facility. They know how to read the formula inside of you, even if they don't know what it means. I got a brief rundown but, well, I could've told you which it was if I analysed you over a few days."

"I wouldn't let a guy like you peek inside of me."

"Whaaat? Don't be like that, you could show me! It would be super interesting, and I wouldn't let anyone else see what's inside!" Dazai wore a dark smile on his face that hid his true intentions. "I also asked how to tell the difference. If you were a human, then the facility would try to take your memories away. Meaning, there would be a log of memories that have been erased, like your parents and how you spent your childhood. That's how we'll be able to tell. What do you think?"

"First of all, the thought of only you seeing what goes on inside of my head is so disgusting I'd rather puke blood! Second—"

Right as he said that, something strange happened.

The ground rumbled. There was one big shake before small ones hit intermittently, as if it was scared of something.

It happened faster than Chuuya could get ready for it.

He got a splitting headache that felt like a bomb had detonated inside of his skull.

"Gah?!"

Chuuya put a hand to his head. There was no injury, this headache wasn't caused by any physical harm.

"Chuuya?" You asked, crouching down by his side.

The ginger looked at you, confusion and panic written in bold on his face, only causing you to worry more.

Soon after that, the ground started lurching forward.

All three of you grabbed onto the ground to hang on. You looked around yourselves, but the earth wasn't moving nor was it destroyed or at an incline. However, the trees leaned forward and the pebbles rolled all to a certain point.

In the center of the wreckage of the beast was it's black tail.

The black tail started to bubble up. Black particles surrounded it and, with the sound of boiling mud, the gravitons began to disperse. They appeared to throb with a beat, wriggled like a worm, and changed shape.

"You've gotta be kidding..." Chuuya groaned.

Adam engulfed the beast in flames with a weapon hot enough to completely reshape the battlefield. At least, that's what should have happened.

But the tail was right there, wriggling into a black mass and trying to take on some kind of form.

"So that's how it is..." Dazai glared harshly at the mass.

Cracks appeared on the ground. In the middle of the black mass, a reptilian face started to take shape.

"Watch out!"