16.5 - Stormbringer

Start from the beginning

"In all honesty, you do deserve this," you sighed, cleaning up a pouting Dazai.

"Sigh..." Adam moved his head ever so slightly. He was deliberating over moving his head vertically or tilting his head to the side. "Even after hearing that, I still don't understand a thing."

"Don't worry, Adam-chan! I, too, have no idea what's going on." Shirase put his hand on Adam's shoulder in encouragement.

"Adam-chan...?"

"Like I said," you began, hoisting Dazai back onto the lamp. "Don't waste your time on it."

"Let me continue explaining." Dazai's expression hadn't changed at all. "When the gate fully opens, Verlaine surrenders his consciousness to the monster of singularity. It's just like he's asleep while in this state. He'll also automatically fight back against anything that seems hostile. Key word: automatically. He won't react to non-hostile contact since he doesn't have the ability to judge it. So, we'll continue feigning attacks with a decoy unit while Chuuya approaches him unarmed."

Dazai broke off there and wore a smile on his face foreboding a melancholic destruction.

"Slowly, elegantly, we'll make him swallow the poison with love—like giving candy to a baby."

Dazai's strategy was quite thorough.

Verlaine's weakness was poison, just like Chuuya. But of course, Verlaine had to be aware of his weaknesses. He wouldn't be so careless as to take poison prepared in advance, and any type of administration of poison (like injections or bullets) would be repelled with his gravity. That's why Dazai deliberately made him open the gate, which robbed him of his will and judgement.

Dazai said that he wouldn't attack if they counteracted with something much more powerful. They couldn't be hostile, for he would fight back with hatred a hundredfold. They would approach him without hostility, tap his shoulder like they were old pals, then slip the poison in his mouth.

Adam was in charge of administering the poison. It would be a small dose of the venom wrapped in a clear capsule, less than the amount of saliva in his mouth. But the minute it enters his body, he'll lose consciousness within five seconds and won't wake up.

"Not bad," you mumbled, considering the logistics. "How many soldiers do you need again?"

"Four hundred.... and twenty two," Dazai beamed. "And twenty-nine ability users!"

"If this plan doesn't work out I will kill you, I hope you realise that," you glared, punching a number into your phone.

"Sure, sure."

There were numerous black spheres forming around both of Verlaine's hands. There were probably around 20, and all of them were about the size of the one before. It was a group of otherworldly powers from the abyss of the cosmos, a bunch of black, round demons that defied the laws of physics themselves.

"Let any of those touch Chuuya and you won't make it out alive!" You yelled at your subordinates, arming yourself with a rifle yourself.

Your subordinates nodded out of fear, and snipers, grenade launchers, and ammo fired from ability users flew at Verlain from the ground. In response to the sudden hostility, the black spheres rained down on the ground, mowing down the mafiosos. The terrain changed as the various mafioso turned to corpses before being sucked in.

There was only one way to prevent the boss's assassination, and that was to give Verlaine the poison Chuuya had. So, they would give their lives—and open up that one second gap.

That's how mafiosos were. They were cruel, yet noble. Friends that had each other's backs. 

"I'm gonna go at him like this!" You heard Chuuya shout, folding Adam's wings. His gravity accelerated them further, turning them into a bullet as they closed in on the enemy.

Verlaine automatically dodged, anticipating the collision. However, right before they passed each other, Adam shot out a wire from his elbow that wrapped around Verlaine's neck. It was the same wire he had used to restrain Chuuya on that day in the billiards bar.

Verlaine let out a little yelp.

The three became one lump as they fell through the sky. Since Verlaine was only a monster, he put up an automatic guard. It was one of the largest black spheres he had created, and his body was in the center.

Adam's wire was drawn into the sphere by an absurd amount of force. He and Chuuya suddenly stopped their descent.

"We're gonna get sucked in, cut the wire!" Chuuya shouted.

"No, if I cut this wire, it'll be impossible for us to get close to him again!" Adam shouted back. "Don't worry, this is a part of my calculations!"

Just then, the unthinkable happened.

Adam cut off the wire that bound Chuuya to him.

A/N: ok ik for a fact that some mf is gonna go 'but mc is dazai's gf, shouldn't she show some support for him bc of chuuya bullying him???' and no

these two are there to show how unhealthy shit in the mafia can get. They're both depressed af, and depend on each other to survive to some degree. both were accomplices to the murder of the previous boss against their will, and only got together bc 'oh you're my closest friend and I can't imagine a world without you, guess that means ily now'

they are not here to be a healthy relationship!!

if you realised that before my rant, this is a formal request for your hand in marriage.