01| Dog Days Are Over

POV Daemyra Hightower
Dog Days Are Over

My mother was getting worse, her beauty was no longer mesmerizing, and her hair was no longer red, like the wine, but now was white like the snow of Winterfell

My mother was getting worse, her beauty was no longer mesmerizing, and her hair was no longer red, like the wine, but now was white like the snow of Winterfell. I wanted to help her, but she didn't let me, she didn't want to be helped.

She always said that the disease she had ran in her family's blood, I didn't know much about her family, and every time I questioned her she always gave me the same answer "You are a Hightower, and that's the only thing you need to know"

I was a Hightower but I didn't know who my father was, I didn't know how heavy my last name was. The only thing I knew about my father was that his surname was Hightower and he was the Hand of the King.

I was tired of seeing my mother in pain, in the middle of the night she started screaming and asking her God for mercy, she had these crazy visions and dreams, that she claimed would be mine one day, when I was ready to let our God guide me through the flames.

"I will look for a maester today," I said straightening her pillow "No, you're not, you know we can't effort a maester" She coughed and spat out blood "You're not getting better and I'll not stay here seeing you die, I won't allow it" I got up and walked to our door.

"Daemyra" She called my name and I looked at her "Be careful on the street" She closed her eyes and I grabbed two silver coins that we had.

I walked out of our house and ran into the streets of Oldtown, which I knew better than I was supposed to. I loved their smell, I loved the people and the people loved me. My mother put crazy things in their heads, they thought I was their savior, but I wasn't, I was just a bastard.

I was trying to find a maester, but it was harder than I thought, I walked to the Citadel and found my favorite maester "Gran Maester" I screamed. He was one of my friends, he lent me all the books I read, and in return, I just had to help organize the library, and I loved that.

"I need your help. My mother is getting worse and I need to know if there is anything or anyone that can help her," I said and the master grabbed my arms gently "Take me to your mother, child"

I was embarrassed. My house wasn't pretty and I hate to admit but I was embarrassed by taking someone to my house, especially because my mother wasn't the best person out here in Oldtown.

I guided the man to my house and when we got there I knocked on the door and I had no sign of my mother, she was probably trying to get up from the mattress, I waited a few more minutes and there was still no sign of her "Mother" I screamed in the hope she would hear me.

I was starting to get worried, so I placed two stones on top of each other and entered our house through the window, when I fell on the ground I saw my mother lying on her mattress, she was quiet and she wasn't moving.

"Why didn't you open the door?" I asked her while I was walking towards her, but she didn't answer me, I reached down and placed my ear against her heart hoping to hear a heartbeat, but nothing happened, I put my hands on her shoulders and started shaking her to wake her up, but again nothing.