"That sure is a giant Onix..." I gasp.

Before it is getting on us, we finally meet Bruno, who saved us in the last second. "Are you all okay?" Bruno asks us.

"Yeah. Thanks a lot, Bruno." I say.

"Ash, right? I heard that you've beaten Lorelei." Bruno says. "However, there are some things that you need to do before facing me in a battle."

It turns out that we are carrying buckets of water, I think that Bruno wants us to train with our physical strength and our inner balance and outer equilibrium. Then the next is splitting wood, and we're training with the firm grip, although the wood that I accidentally cut through manage to hit Misty.

The third task is to carry the stones up the hill, which helps us control our inner nature. And finally, we have to peel the bark of the twig, and it turns out that the lesson for this is to pack a fork when camping.

"A lot of these lessons seem phony to me..." Misty says.

"I can't believe you doubt Master Bruno!" Brock says. "He's so perfectly trained that they'll sense my attack and act like lightning." Brock takes out a stick and tries to attack with full force. However, Bruno fails to detect anything and Brock strikes him hard over the head leaving a large bruise.

After Bruno recovers, I decide to ask, "So Bruno, what are you actually doing here and why are you asking us to do everything?"

"The only reason I'm here is to catch that Onix that you saw before. It's no secret that to be a strong Trainer you have to catch strong Pokemon." Bruno says.

We can only stare in shock, I wonder why my Mom would ever choose him as an Elite Four member. I say, "But Bruno. I'm here for the Elite Four battle. I really need to battle for the Fighting Badge."

Just then, we hear a loud noise and we find that Team Rocket is trying to attack the Onix, only to be trapped in a cave. We decide to help them, but it's too late, Team Rocket is sent flying again and now the Onix is preparing to attack us. Before Onix can strike us again, a lightning-fast Bruno leaps in and carries us to safety. Bruno looks down at the Onix which is thrashing around.

"Are you going to use your Fighting Pokemon now?" Serena asks.

"And what kind of attacks are you going to use?" I ask.

"I will use no Pokemon." I realize that Bruno is going to fight the Onix by his physical strength, and he is also trying to persuade Bruno. Onix tries to attack him, but Bruno keeps dodging. Bruno then jumps on Onix's head. Onix whips his tail around, which misses Bruno and instead connects with its own head.

"Onix, there's no reason to fear me. Now, please, let me know what you're feeling." He closes his eyes and concentrates for some time. He then starts feeling around Onix's body. Eventually, he finds something between Onix's rocks.

"What's this? Onix, this will only hurt for a moment." Then Bruno pulls out a Sandslash from inside the Onix, much to our surprise. Then Onix decides to join Bruno, and then he comes back to us. "The true secret to being a successful Pokemon trainer is for Pokemon and humans to care for each other, just like you and Pikachu."

"I see. So that means we can have our battle now?" I ask.

"Of course. This will be our battlefield." Bruno says. "Through rigorous training, people and Pokémon can become stronger — without limit. I've lived and trained with my Fighting-type Pokémon! And that will never change! We will grind you down with our superior power! Hoo hah!"

"Bring it on!" I say.

Bruno sends Hitmonlee first while I go with Alakazam. Hitmonlee tries to use Blaze Kick, but it is dodged with Teleport.