Chapter 3: Meeting of the Fourth Generation

<< CotE: Tied Beginnings >>

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka

"You sure took your time," remarked Shiro.

The air resonated with the bustling of students, while the setting sun enveloped the path in a soothing, orange radiance. Currently, I was making my way back to the dormitories alongside Yuki and Shiro.

"I wonder what you and Sakayanagi-san were talking about~" teased Yuki, her hand slightly covering her mouth as she wore a cheeky grin.

Sakayanagi's earlier words still left me perplexed as we parted ways. I wonder, what was her intention?

"It was nothing important," I bluntly replied, prompting Yuki to pout in annoyance. "Anyway, shouldn't we get something to eat?"

"It's fine! I can cook, you know?" assured Yuki.

"That's new," commented Shiro. "I wonder if I'll get food poisoned."

"Rude!"

As Yuki and Shiro engaged in meaningless banter, I found myself fascinated with the change they have undergone. In contrast to the White Room, where they conversed as distant classmates, their current interaction resembled that of close friends.

If I had dropped out from that place earlier, would I also be capable of having genuine friends?

As we continued to walk, two familiar people gradually came into view. One was a girl with strawberry-blonde hair, and the other was a boy whose hair bore a violet-blue hue. It appeared that they were making their way toward Keyaki Mall.

"It's those two Class B students from that meet-and-greet," noted Shiro. "Ichinose Honami and Kanzaki Ryuji."

Shiro likely became aware of Ichinose's name through the meet-and-greet announcement. However, I couldn't recall him and Kanzaki ever meeting before.

"I understand why you know about Ichinose-san, but Kanzaki-kun? Have you two met before?" asked Yuki, sharing my thoughts.

"His father is the head of a company called Kanzaki Engineers," explained Shiro. "I've met Kanzaki-kun a couple of times before, during parties and events."

It appeared that Shiro had connections to the business world, clarifying that his family's influence played a pivotal role in allowing him to lead a normal life, after his departure from the White Room.

"Well, shouldn't we say hello?" suggested Yuki.

Although unlikely, I silently hoped that Shiro would decide against it, as I wasn't particularly inclined toward social interaction at the moment.

"Sure, let's go," he said, completely dashing my hopes.

As we neared the two Class B students, Ichinose caught sight of us and greeted us with a warm wave. On the other hand, Kanzaki exhibited a face of surprise, presumably due to the unexpected presence of Shiro.

"Yahallo, Ayanokouji-kun!" greeted Ichinose, before shifting her attention toward Yuki and Shiro with a face of surprise. "And you guys are... the transfer students?"

"Yep! Tsubaki Yuki is my name!" exclaimed Yuki.

"And mine is Kazami Shiro," chimed in Shiro. "We're Kiyotaka's friends."

"Oh, well I'm Ichinose Honami of Class 2-B!" beamed Ichinose. "Friends of Ayanokouji-kun are friends of mine! Nice to meet you!"

"To think you'd be one of the transfer students," began Kanzaki, cutting in the conversation. "Kazami-kun, it's a pleasure to meet you again."