Chapter 6

i would like to thank Duzie-chan for the awesome cover she made for the story =D THANK YOU!!!!

CHAPTER 6

I stand in the entryway of Seth's house for a second, shocked by the news I just discovered. How dangerous is this forest? And is that why Seth rescued a complete stranger?

I walk in the direction Seth pointed out, and sure enough, I find the bathroom. I go to the room across from the bathroom and find what i think is his sister's bedroom. The walls are painted lime-green with blue splotches decorating them. Most of the furniture was a light blue, but some was forest green. Looking at the thin layer of dust that covered the room, I felt a wave of sorrow for Seth and his lost sister. I take my backpack off and place it on the bed.

After a brief hesitation, I opened a light blue dresser on the far wall of the room. Inside the dresser there are stacks of neatly folded clothes. I pick out a cute long sleeved shirt ,find some jeans, then go over to the closet in search of a snow jacket. Seth's sister had a variety of thick jackets, and a few pairs of fur boots. I pick out a pair of boots and a lavender jacket. After some more searching, I come across what I wanted most: a makeup bag.

I head back to the bathroom with my necessities and lock the door. I turn around and look at myself in the mirror. I'm a mess. I have muddy tear stains on my cheeks and I didnt put on makeup before I left the Academy.My eyes are a murky brown from my upset mood, and loose hairs are falling out of my braid.

I undress and turn the shower water on to scalding hot. I step inside and let the water fall against my face, wishing it could wash away my problems.

I turn off the shower and change into my new clothes. After applying mascara and heavy eyeliner, I take the long, boring task of taming my hair. I find a brush in one of the cabinets and begin to untangle my hair. After thinking long and hard, I made my decision to leave my hair down. It cascaded in soft curls that reached halfway down my back.

I unlocked the door and stepped out of the steam from the shower. The house was quiet and I began to worry that what took Seth's sister had come back for him.

"Seth?" I called out.

      "In here." Seth called from the kitchen. I was immediately relieved to hear his voice.

      I walk into the room and smell chocolate. It comforts me instantly, reminding me of the cold winter nights in the Academy, when Faye and I would steal some chocolate from the cafeteria and make hot chocolate in our dorms. I felt a pang of sadness in my chest and absentmindedly wandered over to where Seth was sitting at a table, two mugs of hot chocolate in front of him.

      "Here, drink this. It will help with the cold." He passed me a mug and I took a long gulp of the sweet chocolaty liquid.

     "Thanks," I figured I should get on with my apology to Seth, I still felt guilty about bringing up his sister. "Listen, Seth, I'm so sorry--"

     "Don't worry about it. You couldn't have known." He interrupted.

     I sighed and took another sip of the hot chocolate. "I know, but I should have been more careful. I don’t know you that well.”

     "Speaking of which," He hesitated. "You mentioned being in a summery forest, then winding up here. What happened?"

     I was about to begin telling the whole story, without telling him I was a witch, when he mentioned something I had wished he forgot.

     "Holy shit!! Nyx, weren't your eyes brown before?"

     My eyes widened with surprise, and I quickly made up a lie: "No, my eyes have always been blue. Maybe you just didn't notice it before."