The smile on my lips widens at his words. I don't doubt that Jackson's dad would be incredibly proud of his son and the man he's grown to be.

"Thank you to my incredible team for your endless and tireless work, Aaron, Wendy, Marcus, Donna, Andrew, and everyone else, you all know who you are," Jackson smoothly adds. "You guys make the late nights bearable and I couldn't ask for a better team. A big thank you must also go to our clients for your trust and confidence in us. Your ongoing support is the reason we're standing here today."

Flashbacks of Jackson giving speeches in high school in his role as Student Council President replay in my mind. As much as I hated to admit it back then, he was always a confident and eloquent public speaker, and that definitely hasn't changed.

There's some more cheering in the crowd and Jackson flashes another charming smile as he waits for the audience to settle down.

Then, his gaze suddenly lands on me, and his expression softens. "There's also someone else I want to thank."

I can feel my heart skipping a beat. Hang on a minute. Is he about to thank...me?

Okay, stop acting overdramatic, Isabelle. You're his "girlfriend" tonight, so even if he is, that shouldn't come as a huge surprise.

"She's the most amazing woman I know," he says in a soft voice, his brown eyes still locked with mine.

Oh my god.

"Is it me?" Hilary suddenly pipes up.

"Her name is Isabelle," Jackson continues as he speaks into the microphone. "I want to thank her for being here with me tonight and for all her support. She makes me want to be the best version of myself, and whenever I'm with her, I'm reminded of how beautiful life can be."

"Woo! Go Isabelle!" a random person in the audience calls out, but I'm distracted. My mind is racing with a million thoughts, my heart is pounding like a bongo drum, and I think I might melt into a puddle and disappear under the table.

I'm not okay.

Because what he's just said...did he mean all of that? Or did he only say that to further throw Hilary off?

Jackson pauses for a moment, before taking a step back. "Thank you all again, have a great evening."

Another round of applause erupts from the audience as he makes his way down the stage and back to his seat. I try to search his face for clues, however, it's hard to tell what's running through his mind right now.

But then, as Nancy announces the next award winner, Jackson places his hand over mine and shoots me a tiny smile, his brown eyes shining with a look of affection. Warmth seeps through my body at his touch, and regardless of whether he meant what he said in his speech just then, somehow, it's enough.

An hour later, the formal part of the gala ends, and chatter across all tables fills the room. An impromptu dance floor is set up near the stage, with people dancing and letting themselves loose after a long night.

I nudge Jackson teasingly on the shoulder. "Are you going to get on the dance floor?"

He turns to me with a smirk. "Only if my girlfriend joins me."

I roll my eyes playfully. "I need to use the restroom first."

"Okay, but you have to dance with me when you're back," he teases. "And then I'll be one very happy and lucky man." 

"We'll see about that." I shoot him another playful smile and stand up from my seat with my purse in my hand, before heading to the restroom.

Just as I'm about to begin retouching my make-up, I hear the sound of a woman crying in one of the stalls.