1

This was a joyous day for James Fleamont Potter; the feeling of being a father was both exciting and foreign to him. However, one thing was for sure, it made him happy.

As soon as Healer Bonham gave him the clearance, he rushed through the doors to find his wife-oh his lovely wife, Lily, in the bed and in her arms, two beautiful baby girls.

"Two?" James gasped, he had expected one but that was no matter.

"Twins, James," said Lily, "We have twins!"

James smiled and accepted the baby girl, that was his daughter, that his wife passed to him.

The girl he was holding had black hair and brown eyes, and the girl Lily was holding had red hair and green eyes. Really the splitting image of Lily and him. 

"What shall we name them?" James breathed.

"Since the girl you are holding has black hair, let's name her Dahlia Melanie Potter," said Lily, after thinking for a while, "And since our other daughter has red hair, let's name her Rose Pandora Potter."

James was no good at names but even he agreed they were good.

Suddenly, there was a crack, and his best mate, Sirius arrived.

"Ahoy matey!" Sirius cried. Then he noticed the baby girls, "Holy Merlin's beard," he exclaimed, "I have twin goddaughters now!"

"One goddaughter," said Lily pointedly, "Alice has agreed to be Dahlia's goddaughter."

Sirius turned into a dog and ran to James, yelping at the baby in his arms. Dahlia looked at Sirius before starting to cry.

"Aww Sirius, you scared her," said James, "And this is Dahlia, that's Rose."

Sirius turned on his heel and went to Lily.

Rose giggled and raised a tiny fist at him. Sirius raised his paw and gently high five her.

Sirius barked a few times, before realizing he was still a dog. He quickly turn back into his human form and said, "See James? This lil'pup loves me."

Lily laughed before saying, "Now shoo, Dahlia and Rose have to sleep."

***

Now Dahlia and Rose were 6 months old. Dahlia and Rose became best friends, really quickly, even though they were so different at the same time.

Dahlia was bubbly and didn't mind if she cried or laughed, or screamed while Rose didn't love all the noise. 

It was when they were 9 months old when Dumbledore came to Lily and James Potter, talking about the prophecy.

Instantly, Lily and James' faces grew grave.

Dahlia had no idea what was going on but Rose got a sense that something was wrong.

Very, very wrong.

"The Fidelius charm," Dumbledore suggested, hoping that they would take the bait.

"Who would be the secret keeper?" asked Lily.

James suddenly said, "It shouldn't be Sirius or Alice because if we die, then who would take care of Dahlia and Rose? Not Remus either, he already has enough on his plate."

"How about Peter?" suggested Lily.

"Yes," said James, "Peter would work."

Dumbledore became unsure when he saw Lily and James deciding without him, surely, he, the almighty Dumbledore would know best, so why wasn't Lily and James asking him?

James turned to Dumbledore and said, "Peter would be our secret keeper then."

Dumbledore sighed internally, it did not please him that James did not ask him but it got the desired effect.

***

It happened on Halloween.

Lord Voldemort, or Tom Riddle, appeared in all his glory at Lily and James' house in Godric's Hollow.

"Give me the children," He hissed at James and Lily.

"Lily! Run!" James screamed and drew his wand. James was a formidable opponent, as he was trained to be an auror. 

"Stupify!" James shouted.

Voldemort flicked the spell away lazily, "Petrificus totalus."

"Protego."

"Confringo."

James had to jump away at that one and lost his balance.

"Stupify!"

And James Potter fell to the ground, knocked out.

Upstairs, Lily put Dahlia and Rose down in the crib and turned to face Voldemort.

"Please," she begged, "Not my children, take me instead." 

"Move away silly woman," Voldemort snarled, "I will spare you if you move away."

Lily refused to budge.

Voldemort sent a wordless stupify at her and she fell, like James.

"One of you," said Voldemort, "Is supposed to cause my downfall."

"Even though I am a dark lord, magical children are priceless but you are a danger to me."

"Goodbye."

"Avada Kedavra!" said Voldemort.

It was unclear who he aimed at, but it was clear that it was Rose who acted. Her magic came to her rescue in the nick of time and blasted the spell away, straight back at the surprised Voldemort.

***

(Lily and James were both renovated by Sirius who dropped by for a hello and found out what happened.)

"Since Dahlia's awake, and her core is stronger than Rose's right now, she is the savior. Since Dahlia's the savior, we should drop off Rose at your sisters'", said Dumbledore. 

"No!" said Lily sharply, "I am not losing my daughter.

"Lily," said Dumbledore, "Dahlia will need your attention and with Rose here, it will not do, I will drop Rose off at your sisters'," he said firmly.

James started arguing, "Why can't we leave her with Sirius?"

Dumbledore sighed, "I will play Rose with Lily's sister so Rose will learn not to be jealous."

Jealous? That was ridiculous but Lily nodded anyways, "Fine. But she will come back when she is 11."

Dumbledore nodded, "Of course."  He picked up Rose, attached a letter, and apparated.

And so Rose Pandora Potter's story begins.

Harry Potter belongs to J. K. Rowling