Chapter 2: Unexpected Reunion

Start from the beginning

It seemed that Yuki had managed to lead a relatively normal life after dropping out, which likely contributed to the improvement in her trauma. I also learned that her younger sister, Tsubaki Sakurako, had successfully enrolled in this school as a first-year student.

At times, Yuki would playfully poke fun at my gloominess, something that I didn't particularly appreciate.

Clack!

Our conversation was interrupted by the sound of a chair rattling, causing a sense of anticipation to tingle through me. I glanced toward the source, my gaze locking onto a figure that seemed almost unreal in its familiarity.

Seated in the third spot, a boy with short indigo hair and deep violet eyes stared right back at me, wearing a gentle smile. Strangely enough, I wasn't able to discern his presence until he settled in his chair.

"It's been a while, Kiyotaka."

Then, I felt something click. Upon realizing his identity, a pool of memories began to resurface. Although we were just classmates, he remained the very last person I had conversed with before embarking on years of solitude in the White Room.

"You're..."

"Kazami Shiro of Class 2-A."

"..."

Needless to say, our first conversation in years was extremely awkward. Yuki, who was watching our exchange up close, desperately tried to suppress her laughter.

The initial aspect that struck me about Shiro was his personality. While it hadn't undergone a drastic transformation, there was a noticeable shift, indicating that he managed to break out of his shell. This change was probably attributed to his departure from the White Room at a younger age. Since he appeared to be unaffected by the trauma of his past, he wasn't assigned to Class D.

Not long after our brief conversation, a waitress approached our table with our order. As we received our drinks, I opted to cut to the chase.

"Is there any reason why you guys attended this school?" I asked, sipping my latte.

I didn't expect to receive truthful responses from them, given the looming possibility that they might have been sent to expel me. Though, the chance was extremely slim, as that man wouldn't rely on failures.

"I would tell you, but we need some privacy," suggested Shiro, causing Yuki to wear a perplexed expression. It appeared that his senses hadn't dulled, as he could detect the presence that watched us from afar.

"Okay. How about we go to my room after classes?" I offered, to which they all agreed with a nod.

"Anyway—"

Just as Shiro was going to continue our conversation, my phone vibrated. A public message by Ichinose Honami, the leader of Class 2-B, had been shared on the OAA app, accessible to every student.

'We just got permission to hold a meet-and-greet for first- and second-years in the gym today from 4 to 5 pm. If you've got time to spare, please stop by!'

In the partner exam, this message was a blessing for the students who were faced with the challenge of establishing contact with the first-years.

"Taking the initiative like that requires leadership and socialization skills," Shiro remarked. "I'll have to commend Ichinose-san for that."

"Hmm, I don't think I'll be attending though," said Yuki, resting her chin on her hands. "I'll just partner up with my sister."

Individuals who were already familiar with first-year students, such as Yuki, didn't necessarily need to expend too much effort in this special exam, given that finding a partner wasn't particularly challenging for them. Due to her experience in the White Room, Yuki should be quite capable academically, so she'll manage just fine on the written test.