Hyperfixation.

Being back at the base felt weird.
I was clearly being treated different; my torture experience has rapidly been spread across the base departments. It was uncomfortable being seen as the "heroic prisoner of war" of the Task Force. So cringy... I just wanted that to be over.

Elise pushed my wheelchair and led me to my dorm, helping me out to move around. As I laid down on my bed, I finally felt the exhaustion and soreness washing over my body. She placed my duffel bag over my desk chair and checked my mini fridge. She pursed her lips, impressed.

- You got a mini fridge in your dorm? Excuse me, m'lady...! - she snickered.

- Ha-ha, very funny, Elise... That was Johnny's idea, I couldn't refuse.

- Really? Caramba...! He really went against the rules just to spoil you!

- He actually asked permission to Captain Price for such luxury... - my face felt hot.

- My dad allowed this?!? - her green eyes widened. - You're joking!!!

- Wait a moment... Did you just say that Captain Price is your father...?!?

- Yes, my adopted father!

- Apó tous Theoús!!! - I was bewildered. - I'm honestly shocked, I didn't know...

- Only a handful of people knows that. The story is a bit complex; one day I'll sit and tell you about it.*

- I will gladly listen to it! - I smiled. - And thank you for helping me.

- No problem! You did a lot more for me and my marriage. You can count on me for anything, okay?

I grinned warmly, realizing that Elise was willing to be friendlier with me. That gave a sense of relief; I didn't want to be in any sort of animosity with her while being part of the Task Force.
It wasn't because of her debatable personality; I'm fully aware of how borderline aggressive she could be if provoked or annoyed enough... But more because of her connection with Johnny and Ghost.

I paused for a moment, engulfing myself in thoughts.
In such short notice, my life turned upside down. Johnny showed up in my life with his charming crooked smile, his beautiful blue sea eyes and his unbeatable charisma. He became my dearest lover, the man that was making me smile... And then there was Ghost.

A mysterious man, a walking enigma with a heinous past and a lifelong list of unhealed traumas. A faceless soldier with a secret life. And even though he's "married" to Elise, he confessed having a crush... On me.
How to proceed with that information...? I wasn't even sure how I would be looking into his eyes from now on.

The remote possibility of imagining him touching me made my stomach flip and flutter with a weird excitement. I had no idea how he would look like under the mask, and that created a forbidden fascination that I couldn't shake it off of me.
My heart was pounding; physically aching for an unreachable man... I felt like Pandora coveting the box given by the gods, tempted to open it simply out of sheer curiosity; to
only to release problems and tragedies over people's heads.

It was 1:30 am, and my body was sore, nearly begging for some movement. I dragged myself out of my dorm, cautiously heading towards the tv lounge to watch anything that could get me distracted.
As I got into the lounge, the tv was on, and I could see that someone was already there watching a documentary. I sheepishly sat down on the couch, trying to avoid any disturbance.

- Excuse me, I'll just sit here for the time being...

- ...No problems.

I froze for a mortifying second as soon as I recognized that raspy voice with a british accent in a flat tone. I was frantic inside.
I slowly looked to my left, and my heart skipped a beat... It was Ghost.
My hands clenched over my knees, my nervousness creeping in. He was leisurely sitting on the couch, manspreading, not a care in the world. He was wearing his trustworthy skull balaclava, a grey drawstring pants and a black fitting shirt that was hugging his muscular physique. How a man covered from head to toe could stir up such lewd feelings out of me?