♡ | 41 - Preparations | ♡

"Mitsuriiii! This isn't fair!" Y/n pouted and spun around once more to look in the mirror. Mitsuri had brought her two gorgeous dresses to try on, and now she expected her to just choose one? She groaned and slumped back into the love hashira's armchair; she was far too indecisive for this...

"Jeez, you're such a drama queen Y/n!" Mitsuri's giggle seemed to bounce around the room, teasing the conflicted mirror hashira. Deep down, Y/n knew that her pink-haired companion was right.

I guess I should just pick one...

"I, um..."

Mitsuri leaned in, waiting for the younger girl to make her decision. An eyelash curler was clamped down around one of her eyes, and she had to wink in order to see straight. Regardless, she was intrigued to find out which dress she would choose.

"I'm gonna go with... the black one."

"KYAAA! YOU'RE GONNA LOOK SO CUTEEE!" Mitsuri bounced up from her chair and threw Y/n into a bear hug, squeezing the poor girl until she could barely breathe. With a strangled sigh, Y/n tapped the love hashira's shoulder.

"M-Mitsuri, you're suffocating me-"

"EEK! SORRY!" She flinched back and bowed apologetically, bringing a breathy laugh out of Y/n. She couldn't deny that she loved the big pink oddball that was Mitsuri Kanroji; being one of the only other female hashira, it was nice to have her company from time to time.

"Hey, Mitsuri, how much longer until this thing starts anyway?" Y/n questioned. It had been a few hours since she had left the hospital, and she wanted to make sure that she wasn't late meeting Muichiro. They had agreed to rendezvous an hour before the event started just to be safe... After all, Muichiro still wasn't fully healed, so there were no guarantees that he could travel unassisted.

Oh well, at least I'll be there to help him...

Mitsuri checked her watch and her eyes widened. "Uh oh, teensy tiny problem! You were supposed to meet Tokito-kun at 7pm, riiightt?"

The guilty sing-song tone that Mitsuri had adopted confirmsd Y/n's suspicions. "I'm late, aren't I..."

"J-just get moving!" Mitsuri ushered her out the door with a shameful blush on her cheeks. "Sorry for keeping you so long!"

Sighing deeply, the mirror hashira smiled. "Don't apologise Mitsuri, thank you for the dress!" Turning west and digging her heel into the ground, Y/n began striding towards their meeting place with a determined glint in her eye.

I should have expected Mitsuri to lose track of time... I might not make it on time!

...

"What do you think the hold up is?" Muichiro mumbled, his nerves building more and more by the second. The Shinazugawa brothers stood at his side, all dressed in dark suits accompanied by unusually neatly-combed hair. Muichiro in particular felt out of place; after all, he'd been wearing hospital gowns for the past few weeks, so a sleek black suit and tie was certainly an upgrade.

 Muichiro in particular felt out of place; after all, he'd been wearing hospital gowns for the past few weeks, so a sleek black suit and tie was certainly an upgrade

"Quit whining, your little girlfriend will be here soon." Sanemi scoffed, clearly amused by Muichiro's nervous state. The young hashira was pulling at his colar and chewing his lip... Genya on the other hand, was still fiddling with his tie in a desperate attempt to fasten it. From a distance, it might have looked like he was choking himself.

Sanemi let out a sigh of exasperation and gave his little brother a soft flick on the forehead. "Stand still idiot, let me do that."

Genya's eyes glistened as Sanemi deftly knotted his tie, fitting it snug against the colar of his shirt. Gulping and holding back a smile, Genya looked at his older brother with sparkling eyes.

Muichiro blinked at them. Ever since going back to his parent's old house with Y/n, he had managed to remember a few things about his twin brother... In that moment, he pondered what it would be like if he were there with him. Would he also be meeting someone? Would he be dressed up too? Would Muichiro have to fasten his own brother's tie, just like Sanemi had done to Genya?

Staring at the ground, he rubbed his thumb over his own knuckles. At some point, Yuichiro would have held that same hand... A heavy feeling settled in his heart, making his shoulders sag a little.

Maybe if he were here, he would be holding my hand right now. If he were nervous to go into the crowd, I could have comforted him. Or maybe he could have comforted me. I wouldn't mind either way.

"Oi, shorty." A gruff voice brought Muichiro out of his own thoughts. "Your girl is here."

As soon as the mist hashira laid eyes on her, he felt a little bit of that heaviness in his heart ebb away.

A/N: This chapter is kinda short AND it's late, so I apologise 😭 My head hasn't been in the game recently lmao, I've been very busy with chores, school and medical issues

Yall unanimously chose the black dress for Y/n to wear, which I think is a good decision since it was my first choice aswell. If you don't like how Y/n's outfit is described in the next few chapters, feel free to ignore those parts and imagine your own clothes! Just do what feels right lol <3

Next chapter will be published on: 26/11/23

909 words