♡ | 20 - Sunsetz | ♡

"Yeah..." Y/n murmured. "I know just the place."

She took his hand, and led him into a grassy maze. His eyes widened as she pulled him up a hill, and the long grass gradually turned into a field of spring flowers. Butterflies fluttered around them, surprised at the sudden commotion of two kids running through their home.

She lead him to an area where the think foliage cleared, and leaned up against a tall, crooked tree that stood alone in the clearing.

"Well? Whaddaya think?" She grinned. The sun painted both their faces orange and gold, and their long shadows trailed down the hill behind them. Muichiro took in the beauty that was the sunset... And the beauty that was Y/n.

My god.. It's incredible. All of this is incredible.

The golden rays of the sun illuminated the horizon, and the colors almost seemed too beautiful to be real. The mind of the mist hashira was completely entranced, his breath taken by the scene in front of him.

He tilted his head.

"How did you find this spot..? It's beautiful up here."

She smiled and blushed.

"Well um... while I was at the butterfly mansion the other day I may have followed Kanao up here..." She smiled guiltily. "But she turned off at the path further up, towards the swordsmith village, and I got lost up here instead. I'm not sure if anyone's ever even been up on this hill... Ever since I found it here, I kind of made it my special spot."

When she realised how embarrassing that sounded, she blushed even deeper. Luckily, Muichiro was too airheaded to realise.

"You mean this place is all yours?"

He looked at her with a soft smile, his eyes creasing gently.

"That's so cute!"

He took in the scene, his words were accompanied by the breeze blowing through the area, the sound of birds chirping and the leaves on the trees swaying in the wind.

"I can understand why you like it here.. It's so peaceful."

He turned to face her again and nodded.

"Thank you for taking me here."

She twiddled her thumbs nervously, her ears pink.

"Actually um... I was hoping that, by taking you here... this could become... our place!" Her ears went pink with embarrassment. She was acting so ridiculous.. Why on earth would she admit that fantasy out loud?

He tilted his head and gave her a warm smile, choosing to ignore the cliche-y nature of the scene.

"That sounds nice. I'd like to make it our place too.."

He turned his full attention to her again. Her hair blew in the wind, as she looked down, blushing.

Is it just me or.. Has something changed?

There was something about her that felt different now, different in a good way.

"Did I mention how beautiful you look under the sunset?" He asked randomly, but also very softly. Her pulse jumped at his bluntness.

"N-not as beautiful as you..." She placed her arms around his neck and giggled. "Yknow, we came here to watch the sunset but... all I want to look at is you, Mui."

She paused. Should I... should I say it?

"I... I think..." she trailed off, suddenly feeling ill with nerves. Muichiro stared at her in anticipation. His cheeks were beet red, and his eyes wide...

He placed his free hand on her chin, and gently raised it.

"Yes.. What is it that you think..?" He spoke, a bit softly, urging her to share her thoughts with him.

He was so close to her but he didn't know how he should feel about it. He was embarrassed, but happy.

"I'm listening..." He smiled, and looked at her with curiosity in his eyes. She gulped. Was it too soon to say? But she felt it so strongly... so why shouldn't she speak her mind?

A moment passed between them, and a few leaves fell from the tree behind them.

"I think that... I'm in love with you."

She buried her face in his chest out of anxiety. She didn't even want to see his reaction... What if he was totally freaked out? What if... what if he didn't feel as strongly as she did?

Why did I say that, why did I say that!? She quivered slightly in his arms, waiting in suspense for his response. His heart completely skipped a beat, and he froze in shock.

She loves me?

His mind was running like a train, trying to process everything.

He stayed perfectly still for a few seconds, before finally speaking.

"Y/n.. Do you want me to be honest..?" He waited for her response, before speaking. "I had no idea that you felt so strongly... I'm happy that you do, though!"

He gave her a giddy smile, his insides squirming around with butterflies.

"I do feel as strongly as you do, I just wasn't sure how to express it.. if I'm going to be completely truthful, I must admit that I've never experienced this before."

She froze. What was he saying?

"S-so... you... you feel the same?" She tensed. If he said no, what could she do? Run back down the hill? Pretend that she wasn't upset?

She hadn't felt this anxious in years... No amount of hashira training or grueling lectures could have prepared her for the strength of the emotions she was feeling right now. She wanted to run, she wanted to kiss him, she wanted to cry, she wanted to be held-

Her heart thumped against her chest.

Oh god...

"Yes.. I do." He finally answered her question.

He took a deep breath, before looking at her.

"Y/n, I won't pretend to understand my feelings, but I can't deny that I love you too..."

His slightly anxious smile turned into a happy one, as his eyes softened. He was still processing everything, but he was certain of one thing.

"I can't imagine a life without you, Y/n. You've been so kind to me, and made me feel ways I never even thought that I could-"

A massive surge of relief washed over her. She didn't even bother trying to hold it back, she just let it envelope her.

Her knees shook, and she dropped to the ground with tears welling in her eyes.

"I- I'm so glad.." she sniffed, not knowing what to do with all the adrenaline inside her. She was still clutching onto him as she fell to the ground. The sudden change in her attitude caused him to tense up slightly, but his eyebrows shot up as she fell to the ground, clutching onto him. He sat down too, his eyes following her as she took in a deep breath.

"Y/n..? Are you okay..?" He spoke, his voice laced with slight nervousness.

He tilted his head. "Your eyes are.. wet."

He brushed her hair back, and gently placed his free hand on her cheek. "Is something wrong..?" She beamed at him through her tears of happiness.

"No... not at all! Everything is perfect..."

...

A/N: If you're reading this as a completed work or binge reading, this is your sign to take a break and drink some water <3

Chapter 21 will be published on 1/09/23

1213 words