chapter thirty-eight

Start from the beginning

My eyes widen. I stopped drawing the x midway and looked at her in slight realization.

She avoided my eyes. "Kim..."

"I got kidnapped by one of my regular clients; Diego, and I've been here since. Right after the day I met you."

She's the girl who gave me the sweater she made herself, the one where she told me she didn't like the purple hearts on it because it didn't blend in with the pastel colors.
I still have that sweater in my closet.

My eyes watered, and I hadn't noticed, but she's been crying, I only see it now because her tear drop falls on the page. "We never found my brother, and uh, my mother... I don't know how..." her voice breaks as her cries surface.

"I remember you." I touch her tear-stained cheek. "I knew who you were from the very beginning." She says. "I've heard Diego talking to Mr. Volkov about you."

I think the fact that I couldn't stop crying was mixed up with everything that happened to me in the past twenty-four hours.

"My little Zade." She sobs. "I miss him." I've never heard of feeling my heart drop so fast. "What did you call him?" I rasped.

"Zade." She confirmed. "My mom named him Zade, but she called him Zee, I called him Zaza because he always looked high even as a newborn." 

Is she talking about my Zade?

"And you know he had these strange eyes, he had my father's eyes. Just lighter. They looked white. It reminds me of snow."

Zade is her brother...? She's describing his appearance right now and it looks just like him. The beauty mark under his lip...

Do I tell her, Do I no—

"ZHAIAN, COME HERE NOW."

I startle when Diego shouts my name, wiping away my tears and hugging Kim as comfort before I raced down the stairs.

-end of flashback-

Kim is gone, it's been about fifteen minutes and I've been hiding behind a tree until I spotted an abandoned train behind me. I walked with my bleeding feet that left a trail of blood everywhere until I got inside and sat on the cracked leather that probably had spiders or other deadlier animals inside.

I'd rather die here than for those idiots to find me again, I just know they'll kill me this time, or gang-rape like they did to that other girl because she spilled a droplet of coffee on one of their white shirts.

I close my eyes and lay my head against the headrest, hoping for tomorrow to be a better day... somewhere out of here.

"There's no one here, boss

"There's no one here, boss." The five men who went in the east direction appear. "We found her." I instantly turn my head to the ones who claim to have found my baby.