Chapter 9

Things were a bit more hectic today, there was an even larger crowd gathering around the arena. It would not be long until Burn's entourage arrives, but it seems that many of the Sandwing nobles have already begun to flood the Skywing kingdom. Apparently, Queen Scarlet's hatchday had the same hype in the Skywing kingdom as Christmas does back on Earth. I've heard servants, guards and nobles eagerly talking about the jewels, treasure and other trinkets they hope to find as the shop keepers open their stalls to the Sandwing visitors. I never considered what things were like for everyone else in the background, but now I can see the little things that are missed in the books. I even overheard a couple of guards talking about the presents they hope to get their mates. One wanted to get an emerald necklace that matched his wife's sparking eyes and the other wanted to get a pair of horn rings. The whole kingdom was in one big rush to get, do, or find something.

As for Scarlet, you could hear her down the halls yelling at some servant to "put this here", "this here", "you're doing that wrong, I want it like this", and so on. It wouldn't be long until she comes to the throne room and summons the dragonets to her. I wonder what they'll think of me.

The closer Scarlets hatchday comes, the more eager and excited I inwardly feel about us escaping and starting our real adventure. When I first realized that I was in Pyrrhia, I was scared out of my mind and worried that I would be eaten by some monstrous creature. Now I sit here among them, making friends and saving lives. It's amazing how much has changed. I still feel terrible about some of the things I've done, but it wasn't my fault, right? I couldn't have changed some of those things and the things I did change, it was for the better, or at least I hope.

My mind is switching between happiness and regret constantly. I might be going crazy.

"It will be fine once we leave this place. Surely things will get better. When this is all over, I'll be at the Jade mountain with the dragonets. I'll be their friend and maybe friends with the Jade Winglet too. There's a bright future for all of us, I can't lose sight of that."

As I sat next to the throne, Scarlet quickly walked into the throne room with an anxious expression. It looks like she was trying to compose herself after micromanaging every dragon in the entire castle. Once she settled down and sat on her throne, she called for her guards to bring the dragonets to her.

Starflight was the first to be brought in, he complied with the guards who brought him in and almost immediately bowed down to Scarlet. Clay followed after him, but was not given the same treatment. Both guards tossed the Mudwing onto the floor in front of the throne. Clay got onto his feet and called out to Starflight who quickly shushed him. Scarlet wasn't having any disrespect in her throne room and Starflight was smart enough to realize it.

"My dear Mudwing, I believe your friend is trying to tell you to respect a queen as she stands before you. Don't speak unless spoken to and bow as you approach."

"I'm sorry."

"Honestly, what did they teach you in that cave?

Tsunami was the last to be brought in and she came in hissing and yelling at the guards, "This is an outrage! We're the..."

"Yes, yes, the Dragonets of Destiny, how thrilling. If I wasn't advised to do otherwise, I would have executed you already. Not everyone wants this war to end. My arena is full of dragons plucked from battle, and it's a great distraction for anyone foolish to challenge me for the throne. Spares me a lot of heartache and trouble."

Tsunami raised her head and snarled, "It's perfectly fine with you that dragons are dying all over the world?"

Scarlet scoffed, "Really now, you speak as if you actually have seen a battle. Were you there to witness the massacre of war? Face it, none of you know anything of this war."