𝟎𝟐𝟏 • 𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙊𝙉𝙂: 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 (𝗳𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁 𝗱𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗺𝗶𝘅) 𝗯𝘆 𝘁𝗮𝘆𝗹𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝘄𝗶𝗳𝘁

'Can I go where you go?
Can we always be this close?
Forever and ever and I
Take me out and take me home
You're my, my, my lover 
'

FOR ONCE IN her life, Cassidy Brooke felt no hesitation and worry when her life continued on unexpectedly. She was sick and tired of waiting, and she knew what waiting had kept her from. Thirty four years of learning, patience, and pain had led her to the life that she had now, and that was something she never wanted to give up. Following the end of the detachment, it also technically meant the end of residence in San Diego for the people that had become some of her closest friends and the official closure of the mission that had both cost and given her so much. It was bittersweet, really. She knew that she would miss them, but she also knew that she would be grateful for a slight return to normalcy. Though, nothing would truly be normal once again. And that was the beauty of it all, she supposed. Nothing would be the same, but she didn't mind anymore. If things truly went back to what they had been before, so much would have been lost and never been found again.

She gave her farewells to those who she saw before they left, including Phoenix, who had left alongside Ivy, armed with a fresh offer to train with her and River. This offer, however, extended to Hangman, much to Phoenix's dismay. But Cassidy had laughed it off, declining to tell her that the offer had also extended to her, but she had figured that peaceful time in the place she called home with the person she called home was due after the hectic time they had had. River and Jake had gotten on the same flight, arm and arm, a romance rekindled, despite it never having died to begin with. Three days following their reunion at the Hard Deck, the pair had announced their relationship, and, despite several people thinking they were moving too fast, their quick and concise explanation had been that they didn't want to lose each other again. Cassidy understood that more than many of the people there as she had looked over to Bradley. 

She didn't see any of them for a long time, instead choosing to return to her training with her squadron alongside her new wingman. Alongside Bradley, who meshed instantly with her crew. Despite the initial reservations of her supervising officers for having a couple lead the group, they were quickly proved wrong after seeing how well Cassidy and Bradley worked together with the other four pilots and with one another. Aside from the training, they continued a somewhat typical lifestyle. They went out for dinner dates and to the movies on evenings that they had off. They went on long walks and ran through the rain when the weather turned sour on them, ending up in the safety of their now shared apartment in one another's arms. Other than the odd job choice, they looked like a normal couple.